Txt200 ( 2004 ) Oil Problems

beta tim

My GG TXT200 decided to start pumping gearbox oil out of the breather pipe over the weekend. Whilst this was happening, the engine note changed and it felt like it was slightly starved of fuel. It wasn't until I stopped that I noticed oil all over the back shock and s/arm. I've since drained it and got nearly 700ml out which is strange as I drained it about a month ago and only put 450ml in which suggests I didn't get it all out despite the oil being hot when I last drained it. I've put some more oil in, only about 400ml, but as soon as you start the engine it's still pumping out and the engine doesn't sound as sweet as it was.

It would seem there is pressure in the g/box / clutch, does this sound like a crank case seal gone?

Any views anybody ?

I was thinking of taking it to Stevens Trials in Kent, has anyone any experience of them ?

Hi Tim,

Did you notice if the gearbox oil was looking a bit milky? It's quite likely that the water pump seal has failed and that when the motor gets hot, the pressurised coolant is being driven into the gearbox via the water pump seal. The shaft may well have worn a groove too. Easiest thing to do, if this is the cause of the problem, is to replace the water pump as an assembly. You can get a seal and shaft though these are not the easiest of things to replace, the older motor was easier to work on in this area.

Bye, PeterB.

PeterB,

Thanks for your help, looks like you're right, the fluid level is down. I've had the water pump off tonight and put a new seal and shaft in it. despite 2 oil changes it still comming out a bit grey and I'm convinced the coolant level has gone down so maybe I haven't got the seal in right. But at least I appear to be going down the right avenue.

Cheers,

Tim.