Beta Stator Problems

frontroomautos

Kind of doesnt explain the one that went on my 03 Beta though, cos that one had NEVER seen water...only the dry dusty rocks of Hong Kong.

Mind you...with the humidity out there, it may be that there was a build up of condensation?..in which case, I guess it would be better to have a couple of holes in the case?

It also doesnt quite follow with my current 05 Rev3, which I do ride in water alot, but I do take the case off and let it all dry out between rides.

Ah well..there we go. Once I've got the money together for a new one I guess I'll feel better about it. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a gasket solve the problem? With a rubber gasket, it would be water proof. What do you say?

Sherco motorcycles have rubber gasket and they do not have any stator problems.

stator.jpg

I don't think the exact cause of the stator failures has been established, therefore replacing the gasket may not make any difference.

The most likely cause of failures is material or manufacturing defects because in my experience water does not cause a continuity failure in the middle of a winding.

Edited by GRAEME17

I aquired a broken stator to play with off an 05 I think, this had a pickup coil failure. I took the windings off the former ( this was not an easy job ). There was no sign of water damage on any of the windings or connections and I would think you will it would be very unlikly to fail due to water because the windings on this stator were totally sealed with apoxy. I dont know if they are all like this but if I was winding this this is how I would do it ( this will seal the winding from any moisture also there will be no movement in the windings for them to wear ) . The failure on this stator was a break in the wire on the very first winding on the former. The wire is very thin and very fragile and the former is square!, so my thought is this is where they all break ( well most anyway ) . From experience the very first winding on a former is most likley to cause a problem when winding the wire on. I know this dont really help anyone as there is no a easy cheap fix but if all the stators are coated with apoxy as this one was I dont think no matter what you do ( sealing or cutting a V in the flywheel cover ) nothing will help prevent this failure its all down to luck. I heard that the replacment non oem ones are wound with slightly thicker wire and also done on a far smaller scale ( more personal service so greater care would be taken when winding ) so it will probably be far more reliable. Just my thoughts and I thought I would share them with you. :o

I aquired a broken stator to play with off an 05 I think, this had a pickup coil failure. I took the windings off the former ( this was not an easy job ). There was no sign of water damage on any of the windings or connections and I would think you will it would be very unlikly to fail due to water because the windings on this stator were totally sealed with apoxy. I dont know if they are all like this but if I was winding this this is how I would do it ( this will seal the winding from any moisture also there will be no movement in the windings for them to wear ) . The failure on this stator was a break in the wire on the very first winding on the former. The wire is very thin and very fragile and the former is square!, so my thought is this is where they all break ( well most anyway ) . From experience the very first winding on a former is most likley to cause a problem when winding the wire on. I know this dont really help anyone as there is no a easy cheap fix but if all the stators are coated with apoxy as this one was I dont think no matter what you do ( sealing or cutting a V in the flywheel cover ) nothing will help prevent this failure its all down to luck. I heard that the replacment non oem ones are wound with slightly thicker wire and also done on a far smaller scale ( more personal service so greater care would be taken when winding ) so it will probably be far more reliable. Just my thoughts and I thought I would share them with you. :o

Does anybody know of or heard of any failures on re-wound stators?