4rt Rpm

frontroomautos

Can anyone tell me how many RPM's the 4RT revs to & how often it needs rebuilding. I am thinking of buying either an 08 Beta Rev 3 270 (so long as the stator problem is no more, ive been told its now sorted since enquiring) or a Montesa 4RT. I like the 4RT better but with its more complicated engine i am wondering about how often it will need a new top end and the comparative cost against the 2 stroker. My theory says that a low reving 2 stroke engine has got to be about as reliable as a high reving 4 stroke engine & when it does need rebuilding it is allot cheaper. I havnt heard of a 4RT going bang other than at championship level but someone here might have experience of it and the cost. I would like to hear some knoweledgable experience and advise. I am just as undecided today as i have been a few months back about which to go with in 08 & I am one of these people who likes to iron out and eliminate questions before i take the plunge to buy. Cheers.

I ride a 4rt so my opinion would be biased?

However this year a friend of mine rode the ssdt at the last minute, i.e. the sunday (parade day) before the event. He rode his dads 4rt which was brought up for him by a friend.

The bike had not been serviced for at least 2 months, never mind the proper check over for the ssdt. He set off on it on Monday morning, and had no significant bother all week. The bike is still running fine. What more could you ask for out of a trials bike?

They are seriously a proper piece of kit!

Edited by Boydw

Have had monts since 99 with 3 315s and now a 2nd hand 4rt. Build quality is superb and the reason I bought a 2 yr old 4rt rather than a brand new Beta. Have heard of no major problems. Bought mine second hand from Sandifords in Jan. At the time I was told that to date they had only sold 1 piston for a 4rt (1,000 bike out and about at the time) could be sales bull have heard no horror stories yet and mine is going fine at 2 yrs plus.

Fuel injection is superb, no carb to clean, spot on carburation all the time and no Beta petrol leaking all the time, no fuel tap to turn on and off and no 2stroke to mix all the time.

Jimmy, everything you have highlighted is spot on & the very reason i really want one above all else. I guess it was only the price that was leading me towards Beta and i wanted to believe i was getting the same reliable quality as the Mont...but how could you be in all honesty. I can see myself biting the bullet and just doing it with the Mont. Quality and reliablity is everything and its not exactly without power for a clubman is it. I like the 08 its grown on me..Its between the two and has been for a while so a couple or few months down the line and I'm sure i'll know for sure.

I believe that between Beta and Montesa there shouldnt be any difference in quality. They are both very high quality bikes. The chassis design are very similar also and this is one of the reasons these two bikes are different compared to tube chassis bikes.

On the other hand, Beta 270 2 stroke and Montesa 4 stroke are obviously very different in handling. For club class rider, I dont have any doubt to recommend Montesa 4RT. I have Beta 270 and its just too much for me anyway. I know that many of us just bite the dust and claims that its not causing any problems. But believe me. When you are riding with 200 or 250 Beta, or on the other hand Montesa 4RT, you will immediately realise the difference. Its not the full throttle power that is bothering but the low rev riding ability. It will run away easily and cause you extra program and extra points.