Dvla

madcr500

Hi.

Ive just finally managed to get a registration number for my 97 scorpa 250. Crikey they make it hard work dont they. Here is my tale of woe!!!

First I call birketts to ask for advice, he tells me trials bikes are exempt from Type Approval and SVA inspection.

Then i ring the dvla to find out whats involved in getting a reg number. "Whats a trials bike" they say, so i have to explain it to them. It took almost an hour to make the guy on the phone understand what i was doing. He tells me that i need to get insurance, then an mot, then fill in a form (V55/5) and take the whole lot to the local DVLA office in preston and get the tax disk. Thats when i will be issued the registration number. Sounds simple enough AND as the bike is exempt from inspection i dont have to take it to preston (15 miles away and i dont have a van or trailer)

So next i ring my MOT guy to ask about what i need for the daytime MOT. "Just a clip on battery powered horn from halfords (

It sounds as if you were unlucky Marcus, I went through the same thing last year with no problems.

Perhaps they see a lot more trials bikes in Worcester, I don't know. It was a fairly painless experience... thankfully! The wosrt thing was sitting for three hours in the waiting room with a ticket for the initial part of the process.

Yes, they then wanted to Inspect the bike to check that it didn't need SVA but the inspector at Worcester just walked out, bang on time, took one look at it and said 'Ok, that's exempt alright'. She, checked the engine and frame number and 20 mins later I collected a tax disc.

Hi Guys.

Hi Marcus.

DVLA. Did. Very. Little. Always. I think No GCSEs Or Uni. Only a MTT. ( Made The Tea ).

Dont even start me off, Have you ever taken, trucks and Horse Boxes , for yearly Plate, It's an all new world, out side the test station for them. and a damm frustrating one inside one for us.

Regards. Charlie.

Well at least its not just me then.

I just don't understand it. The inspector actually said to me at one point "I dont know anything about bikes" and i thought THEN HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THE JOB THEN????

Edited by madcr500

Sounds a bit of a pain but look at from their viewpoint how else could you do it?

Also did you have to prove it wasn't a grey import?

I just think they should know what they're talking about. It is their job afterall.

No i didnt have to prove it wasnt a grey import. They asked me if it was but that was it.

Reality is you pay peanuts you get.......

If you want to have fully trained efficient staff in government you have to pay more tax, like France maybe? Then they might know there ar$3 from their elbow but we don't want to pay more tax just so trials riders have an easy time do we?

Reality is you pay peanuts you get.......

If you want to have fully trained efficient staff in government you have to pay more tax, like France maybe? Then they might know there ar$3 from their elbow but we don't want to pay more tax just so trials riders have an easy time do we?

Nigel, Do you work for the DVLA?

DVLA not likely CSE metalwork wouldn't qualify me for that for sure.

Just try to see both sides of it really.

ooo I dont know Nigel, If you know the difference between a trials bike and an enduro then you would have done a better job than the guy i dealt with.