Back After Rather A Long Break!

stig

20 odd years to be precise (the break that is).

Hi all, thought this would be a great place to post as it's a lively forum - good to be here.

Anyway, after a LOOOONG break from trials (rode clubman/nationals in my teens), I've decided that it's high time I got back into the sport. This decision was also driven by our glorious Government effectively making 99% of off road riding effectively illegal.

So having sold my trusty DRZ400S, I'm in a position to buy a trials bike and get going. Amazingly, my old trials gear still fits! So that's a cost saving B)

I've basically got about

Where are you stig?

Hi Nigel,

S.Oxfordshire, near Henley-on-Thames and Reading. It will be odd being able to drive myself to events - had to rely on lifts everywhere as a nipper :D

Thanks for the reply too Pete - sounds like sage advice. Agreed on the comment re. age vs. condition - saw a 2006 Sherco go for

Would it be fair to say that a 2002 bike would still hold it's own against a 2006 for example?

Thanks for the welcome lads B)

Probably not - I'd look for minimum 2005. Bikes used to last a lot longer in 'our day'. You can rejuvinate them, but it'll cost you more than buying newer. I just splashed out on all new bearings/fork seals/footrests/chain/sprockets/airbox and really I need a new spare rear wheel soon - a few hundred quid spent easily just because I don't want to swap my rock solid engine (and hassle of swapping).

I'd say that a very good 2006 would be around the mark you're looking for, or with a few hundred quid more you're looking at a year old bike.

Edited by bikespace

Hmmm... good point. I've got my eye on an '06 Gas Gas 250 and an '04 Sherco at the moment, so will see what the weekend brings.

I suppose that's the downside of having such high performance/lightweight technology - doesn't tend to be so robust.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I to have just returned to trials riding after 20 years or so and having followed a similar path to you with the twin shock bikes i now have a mint 2003 Montesa 315r which was unused when i bought it.

The bike is fantastic and goes where ever you point it if you can hang on

The two biggest things i have noticed is how light these new style bikes are compared to the old Montesa and Bultaco

The biggest thing i miss is the seat!!!! as you get older it knackers your legs stood up all the time when riding between sections,i could hardly wark for 3 days after 4 hours on mine when i first got it.

Cheers