Used Sherco Maintenance And Newbie Help....

gti5notrkt

This past week I picked up a 2000 Sherco 2.5 for a reasonable price. The bike is basically sound but I there are maintenance items that I want to take care of before riding;

Replace/oil air filter

Replace fork dust seals (cracked)

Replace fork seals (leak on left fork)

New fork oil (10wt)

Fork spacers (preload)

Install stiffer red rear shock spring (I'm 230lbs, 6ft)

Flush/bleed brakes & clutch

New coolant

New transmission fluid

Any other stuff I missed?

Now the stuff I need help on.....

The rear muffler looks really tired. The endcap has been re-riveted on a bunch of times and it currently loose. Also I am not sure if it needs repacking. Should I try and repack or bite the bullet and buy a new one? Cost? If I fix should I weld the cap back on? (a friend has a TIG welder).

The rear brake seems to have a lot of lateral play. Brake is firm but I am thinking the pivot bushing/axle is worn? Is this a common problem? Easy fix?

I read the service manual on-line concerning the fork seal replacement and I feel confident doing it myself. Anyone do this and have any words of wisdom? Is it worth buying the special seal tool to do it or should I take it to a shop?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm excited to get into the sport.

Jon.

Loveland OH, USA.

Hi Jon,

Go to the www.rypusa.com website, get on the Sherco page then the tech assistance or something along those lines and the manuals are there. Just re-read your post and realized you have done this.

They lay out all your questions (with the exception of the tailpipe) in pictures and diagrams with circles and arrows.

If you have any questions, they have a discussion forum as well that is checked daily for questions.

If you still have questions, Give Ryan, Mike or Kevin a call on the 1-800-607-8742 and they can hook you up.

If the stinger was mine, and I had TIG access, I would take it apart, clean it up, weld a new edge on and repack / reassemble it. If you find something additional wrong you can always pick up another. Give Ryan a call and he can direct you to your local dealer.

Change the bearing and bushing in your brake pedal, may consider upgrading too the newer pedal if that one has not already been done (folding tip) Ryan has the custom made tools too do it, or accurately selected sockets work as well.

Be gentle and accurate installing the seals, follow the manual, all the steps including the one about the tape on the top of the leg too keep from cutting the seal when sliding it over.

Clean, clean, clean, then clean a little more will make them last a long long time.

Dang seals are expensive as all get out, don't get heavy handed, make sure everything is aligned well and clean and they tap right together. Should not require taking to a shop if you are reasonably proficient with the wrenches.

Make sure (I think this applies to your year model but am not positive) that the top caps are not the source of your leak and running down the leg. Nothing like changing seals to figure out you could have changed a couple O-rings and solved the problem.......

Good luck and have fun on your bike.

Al B

Edited by Alan Bechard