Oset 12.5 Tips

rah

thanks motfire.

i look forward to any further info you might be able to relay.

in the mean time i will go to my local ace and see what i can find out.

funny... we both ride an '06 2.9 as well.

well, we had our first ride today and it went great.

2 yrs 6 months and he rides all over without any training wheels. i am real proud.

we had a great time today.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Motofire,

how do you take the front fork spring out? There is a white plastic part under the fork boot, but I am not sure how to pop it out so that the fork springs are released. A step-by-step would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John

I replied to your PM but I think it was lost in hyperspace...heres a step by step.

Remove fork caps,front wheel and brakes

Take forks off

Deep down in fork is a Allen button bolt

Remove this bolt(you will need a 5mm Allen head socket and an extension(s) long enough to reach this bolt)

Do this to both sides

The forks will the come apart easily

When you take them apart familiarize yourself with the orientation of the plastic pieces.

Motofire,

how do you take the front fork spring out? There is a white plastic part under the fork boot, but I am not sure how to pop it out so that the fork springs are released. A step-by-step would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John

How'd you make out?

Anyone switch wheels yet? How do you get the sprocket and brake drum off??
Not on the 12...

I never took off the band brake so I cant help you there.

The sprocket comes off with a little work. The little Hex heads are thread locked on so I would suggest using some heat to break the lock. I also had to replace a few of the hex heads.

Not on the 12...

I never took off the band brake so I cant help you there.

The sprocket comes off with a little work. The little Hex heads are thread locked on so I would suggest using some heat to break the lock. I also had to replace a few of the hex heads.

No hex heads on the 12.5...

I'm going to try again tomorrow..might need to get creative.. how strong are zip ties???

Propane torch...

What could go wrong... :lol

No hex heads on the 12.5...

I'm going to try again tomorrow..might need to get creative.. how strong are zip ties???

Propane torch...

What could go wrong... :lol

Oh jeeze your right, thats on the 16.

When you figure it out let us know.....my guess a BFH would do the trick :D

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

what grips are you using. something from mini 50cc mx bikes, cr 50 or the ktm's. the stock grips look shorter than big bike grips.

i went with Renthal, full diamond pattern in the soft compound. The full diamond pattern has the smallest o.d. i have seen and the soft compound is nice for little soft hands.

Y0u also need to make sure it is the road bike style and not mx style. mx style has higher "flanges", where road bike style has the smaller diameter "flanges" that are the same type as trials grips.

"Flanges" being the the end of the grip opposite of the bar end.

I cut them to length and installed bar ends.

Edited by Sparkalounger

I left the stock grips alone on the 16.0

However, on the 12.5, they are too big for my 3-year olds hands, so I cut them off and slipped in a couple of cut inner tubes from a 10-speed bicycle. This was in order to have the diameter as small as possible for their little hands.

We have gone through 2 sets of batteries on the 12.5, and one on the 16.0. Batteries last about 100 cycles, so that will tell you how durable the bikes are. The only thing that has had to be replaced have been rear tires, and a throttle. I just got four batteries for about $80 on ebay. I use the same batteries as used on the older-version 16.0 on the 12.5, they barely fit, but last longer.