Honda Tlr 250 Delwiche

marc

Hello,

I have just bought a Honda TLR 250 Delwiche. As far as I know, this is a Belgian-built 1985 TLR250-based replica of the RTL. It will need significant work over the winter. More information / any comments about these bikes are welcome - thanks in advance!

Marc

mq-medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you read French I have an article from the time or one in German.

Is this the one that was on ebay from Provence as the silencer looks familiar??

I also own one of the beasties as well.

Where are you based??? I am in Luxembourg

Matt

Hi Matt!

Thanks for your reply, nice to hear from another owner - there aren't that many. I've heard both the figure 40 and 150 units made, and have no idea how many are left. Do you have a reliable production figure ? Any pictures of yours ?

> If you read French I have an article from the time or one

> in German.

I read both, and look forward to reading them. Do you have them in electronic format ?

Since you apparently read French, I have a short 3p article from MotoVerte (October 1985) comparing the stock TLR250 to the "factory" RTL250 (twice the price!). Exactly the kind of event which may have led to the idea of the Delwiche. The test-driver is Charles Coutard, previous owner of my bike. Tell me if you're interested in a copy of the article.

> Is this the one that was on ebay from Provence ...

No it isn't, I've missed that one (he was selling two actually). Mine was advertised on lva.fr, it's in pretty poor state and will need a complete strip-down and rebuild.

> ...as the silencer looks familiar??

I think this is a fairly common (back then) after-market silencer for the Yamaha TY250, which happens to fit reasonably well. I am not sure though. I have been told the bike runs much better with a bigger silencer, which is probably true considering the huge silencers both the RTL and the Delwiche had back then.

I live in Grenoble, France, BTW. I cross Luxemburg about once a year - nice area. Not sure the forum is appropriate for a conversation but your TC inbox is full and the email in your profile seems outdated.

Cheers!

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Marc

How's the 'significant work over the winter' going?

You've had it two months. How' she run? Is it a she? Any surprises in how you find it to run and maintain?

I've wondered how hard abike form the lat '80s is too maintain and whether it is too precious for regular use/work?

Ross

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I have just bought a Honda TLR 250 Delwiche. As far as I know, this is a Belgian-built 1985 TLR250-based replica of the RTL. It will need significant work over the winter. More information / any comments about these bikes are welcome - thanks in advance!

Marc

mq-medium.jpg

Marc

Hi. More photos please when you can.

Hi

Hello Marc,

I saw you look for information from thr Honda TLR Delwiche.

First it's a HUBAUT - DELWICHE from Bernard Hubaut (the man who did make the frames and all the polyester) and Philippe Delwiche (the man who' fine tuned the engines and suspensions and who did also the sale managment)

Thats why on the original big silencer you have the innitiales HD.

And yes there are only 60 bikes who are transformed.( you are also a lucky one)

I already restored one and now i began with my other 2 HD's, i have also the article from Moto Verte on PC.

If you are further interested plaese send me a mail, i'm from Belgium just on the border with France.

I saw you are living in Grenoble-France maybe we gonna meet in the summertimes.

e-mail : d_malfait@telenet.be

phone : +32475/333062

> How's the 'significant work over the winter' going?

Winter hasn't really started, neither has work on the bike ;-)

> How' she run?

Much better than I thought it would! I was actually hoping an old bike wouldn't run all that good so I would have an excuse to limit myself to tame sections, but it turns out to still be way better than I am. And (this won't be news to you folks here) its gentle four-stroke engine is pure pleasure, hours after I'm done riding I still smile ear-to-ear. Really made me wonder what I was thinking all these years riding modern bikes. This is it, at least for me!

However, I have only ridden on fairly flat premises (with heaps of dirt and big rocks). I fear it may be a bit too short-geared for long/steep uphill zones, but don't have any of those nearby so won't be able to confirm before the spring.

> I've wondered how hard abike form the lat '80s is too maintain and whether it is too precious for regular use/work?

Probably easier to work on than modern bikes, from what I've seen so far. Can't really tell for finding the parts though.