Yamaha 250 With Fi

neil king

I am wondering if the new 250 fi is going to go to trials, I think it might if it proves reliable. I believe the 5 valve engine to be a good design, I have a WR400F and like it. But four valves are probably enough. I haven't seen the new 250 and don't know the weight comparison between the two. What do ya'll think/know?

Neil King

I am wondering if the new 250 fi is going to go to trials, I think it might if it proves reliable. I believe the 5 valve engine to be a good design, I have a WR400F and like it. But four valves are probably enough. I haven't seen the new 250 and don't know the weight comparison between the two. What do ya'll think/know?

Neil King

The new WR250X and WR250R from Yamaha with EFI run the same 4-valve motor.

Personally, I'd like to see a sidevalve two-valve trials motor, as it would lower the center of gravity of the bike. We certainly don't need twin cams and four valves given the rev range of a trials bike.

Neil King

The new WR250X and WR250R from Yamaha with EFI run the same 4-valve motor.

Personally, I'd like to see a sidevalve two-valve trials motor, as it would lower the center of gravity of the bike. We certainly don't need twin cams and four valves given the rev range of a trials bike.

Isn't that what the gasgas 4t is supposed to be? I think that 4 overhead valves was a great advancement for a single cylinder engine, and multiple cylinder engines for that matter. Kind of like the reed valve for 2 strokes.

Isn't that what the gasgas 4t is supposed to be? I think that 4 overhead valves was a great advancement for a single cylinder engine, and multiple cylinder engines for that matter. Kind of like the reed valve for 2 strokes.

The pics I've seen of the GG indicate that.

The 4 OHV configuration for four-strokes is great, if you need a high/quick revving engine.

The questions is this: Do the advantages of a 4 OHV design outweigh (no pun intended) the disadvantages of the higher center of gravity and taller motor?