Oil And Water Don't Mix, Mine Do!

beta tim

I've got a problem with my 2004 TXT 200, I keep getting coolant in the gearbox oil. I've re-built the water pump but the problem continued so I sent the pump up to gas gas and the've re-built it but the problem still continues. Is there another route for coolant get in there other than via the water pump. Any ideas anyone ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a problem with my 2004 TXT 200, I keep getting coolant in the gearbox oil. I've re-built the water pump but the problem continued so I sent the pump up to gas gas and the've re-built it but the problem still continues. Is there another route for coolant get in there other than via the water pump. Any ideas anyone ?

Hi!

One possible, but often overlooked thing that might cause it: The cap overflow tube on the radiator has a black hose to draw off hot/excess coolant and if it is curled down over the top of the frame brace, when the the fuel tank is installed, the underside front of the tank can squeeze it off and pressure will build up in the system to the point here it is higher than the rated pop-off pressure of the cap. This will force coolant past the W/P seal and into the transmission case. Unusual, but a thing to watch on the Pros.

Cheers.

Jon

Hi,

I had similar problems with my 04 Pro 250. Once it was the pump and i got that sorted simply with a new seal, i discovered though that the gear box breather pipe was sucking in water from rivers or when i was washing the bike. I would check where the end of the breather pipe is and if it is low, try and put it as high as you can...ie. the top of the bracket where the rear brake reservoir is bolted on, just behind the top of the shock. Or check your gaskets.

Hope you sort it out.

Hi,

I had similar problems with my 04 Pro 250. Once it was the pump and i got that sorted simply with a new seal, i discovered though that the gear box breather pipe was sucking in water from rivers or when i was washing the bike. I would check where the end of the breather pipe is and if it is low, try and put it as high as you can...ie. the top of the bracket where the rear brake reservoir is bolted on, just behind the top of the shock. Or check your gaskets.

Hope you sort it out.

Good advice.

A lot of times (well, more than a LOT of the times) it's usually something simple that is easily overlooked, like a loose fitting on the trans breather or the breather hose down too low. The transmission case, essentially being a container of hot oil and air, will experience a vacuum condition when rapidly cooled, which is usually by water from a creek, and the water (and grit) will be sucked into the container through any available "opening" such as an ill-fitting gasket or loose fitting. I'll never forget a demonstration experiment in Chemistry class where we took a 55 gal. steel drum, heated it, then plugged the opening and sprayed it with cold water in order to watch it curl up into a crunchy ball of metal from the pressure differential. I've turned bikes into crunchy balls of metal since then, but it was due to my lack of riding skill, not pressure differentials.

This is also why I've vented all my alternator covers from the early 70's on and have experienced few problems with corrosion in the flywheel/stator area. As I have an 2002 280 Pro, this is especially important as the cases and clutch sidecover are magnesium, not aluminum like the 03's on up (Raga's excepted, but they have a different coating on the surfaces) and are prone to corrosion if not properly maintained.

Cheers.

Jon