Leaking Fuel Tank On Scorpa.

slack

Hi everybody, i've damaged my tank on my SY, where the kickstart sits in the re-cess. It happend about six months ago kicked the bike over & my foot slipped off, causing the kickstart to spring back & hit the tank. there must be a hair line crack from where the petrol is seeping out. I've tryed to re-pair it with a petrol patch but after a while it starts to leak again. I silacond a bit of rubber onto the re-paired patch for a bit more security in case it happens again but wondering if its causing a reaction & thats why its leaking again.Anybody had a similer problem & any other products i could try. I can get it plastic welded but dont know what type of plastic the tanks are made of & which rod to use. Thanks very much.

Hi everybody, i've damaged my tank on my SY, where the kickstart sits in the re-cess. It happend about six months ago kicked the bike over & my foot slipped off, causing the kickstart to spring back & hit the tank. there must be a hair line crack from where the petrol is seeping out. I've tryed to re-pair it with a petrol patch but after a while it starts to leak again. I silacond a bit of rubber onto the re-paired patch for a bit more security in case it happens again but wondering if its causing a reaction & thats why its leaking again.Anybody had a similer problem & any other products i could try. I can get it plastic welded but dont know what type of plastic the tanks are made of & which rod to use. Thanks very much.

Sounds like a job for some tank sealer to me.

its probably made of eltex (high density polythene), maybe if you drained it, steamed it, you might be able to patch it up with some Gpr, or resin?? and put some blue colour in with resin, and it would look ok'ish, if you sanded it and polished it??

Sounds like a job for some tank sealer to me.

Where would i get some tank sealer from madcr.

There a a few varieties. Petseal is probably the most common. It is basically the same as the resin used in fibre glass but is petrol resistant. You mix the resin and hardener then poor it into your tank and swill it around for a few minutes (use tape to seal the filler hole and petrol tap hole) so it covers all around the inside. Then leave it to harden. Although originally designed for rusty metal tanks, it is often used on plastic tanks when they are going to be painted as it stops the fuel evaporating through the plastic and making the paint "bubble" off.

Their is some similar stuff on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BSA-TRIUMPH-AJS-NORT...1QQcmdZViewItem

but if you do a google for petseal you should find some in your area.

Hope this helps.

In Australia we have aproduct called PLASTEX, it works really well on Scorpa tanks, - I have done a few.

The tank can be plastic welded. Sorry i cannot remember the name of the plastic filler weld rod but the professional welder of plastics will cut a thin slice of the material from around the inside of the filler neck, it only needs to be tiny. Then by burning it they can tell which rod to use.

Also grind a bit from the inside of the kickstarter, there is a bit of a "lump" on the end of the lever which has caused your crack - zip it off with the linisher or powerfile.

Cheers