270 Conv For Mono

masnoc

J K Hirst do them.( IT Piston used) I had a 270 converted mono it was like a motocrosser. They say there are 270s and there are 270s. They need to be well sorted, not just a case of a rebore. Personally I would leave 250 if you can as it is an expensive gamble. Or talk to Birkett he knows his onions. :D

Edited by bo drinker

• 2 weeks later...

I am in US. I have/had several TY350 as my first 'modern' bike, but having never ridden a 250, my experiences have nothing to compare to.

very slow response due to heavy flywheel (before trimming), runs out of breathing at medium revs because of limited transfer port size.

basically pick a gear, anything other than first, and run the whole section in it. pulls strong.

tough as nails though, heavy now, high pegs, etc as you would know from the 250

I have a 250 cylinder, assorted spare bottom ends, want to find a head and source for piston & rings to put together a 250 for fun someday. Supposedly with some porting they veel much more modern like. The 350 is a world of its own I guess...

kcj

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the best TY Mono varient is a 350 top end on a 250 bottom end.

I want to try it, but i have no money at the moment. :closedeyes:

I havn't posted on here for ages, I don't get to ride much any more. I restored my TY when I was 15. Well semi restored it, it looked sweet, needs aload of work now though.

Muel, call round or pm me, we'll sort summat owt re your riding, I can give you a lift sometimes pal or Andy's Mum can.

Could have sorted that at the Thornsett trial too, just depends what shifts I'm on. But Andy's Mum can drive the trailer (reversing is the problem!)

Sithee soon.

Eiger.