Can't Get My Boy Going...

boner

Hi, just brought my lad a TXT50 today - and I'm well chuffed with it.

BUT, I can't get the blooming thing going!!!

Had a chat with the previous owner earlier, and he said he had it up and running a day or two ago.

Followed everything by the book: choke up, fuel on, gears in neutral... and started kicking. But nothing. ;)

Pretty sure the carb's flooded now - do I need to kick it over with the throttle open to flush it through?

Will check the spark plug tomorrow - any other suggestions gratefully receicved.

Cheers - Boner.

Hi, just brought my lad a TXT50 today - and I'm well chuffed with it.

BUT, I can't get the blooming thing going!!!

Had a chat with the previous owner earlier, and he said he had it up and running a day or two ago.

Followed everything by the book: choke up, fuel on, gears in neutral... and started kicking. But nothing. ;)

Pretty sure the carb's flooded now - do I need to kick it over with the throttle open to flush it through?

Will check the spark plug tomorrow - any other suggestions gratefully receicved.

Cheers - Boner.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to trials bikes but i had a similar problem with my txt 280, i took the spark plug out and it had flooded in the cylinder so i turned the engine with the kick with kitchen roll over the hole where the sparkplug goes to empty it out (this is with petrol switched off). Then cleaned the plug with kitchen roll and a toothbrush, got it nice and dry and checked it for sparks.

I put the plug back in and cap back on tight, made sure connection was okay first. Turned petrol back on and made sure there was enough in the tank and tried starting it without choke if it doesnt start put choke on for a few kicks and let it off again. If it doesn't start then maybe you need a new plug...or just more new petrol?? possibly

It worked for me, hope it does for you :)

Jack

If you decide to see if there is spark by taking the plug out and earthing against the barrel beware of loads of fuel coming out the plug hole and setting the bike alight when the plug sparks!!

Ah the memories, I did this on a bike 30 years ago. The petrol tank was knackered so we had swapped it for a Fairy Liquid bottle taped to the frame, bit of petrol leakage didn't worry us too much until we tried the plug against the barrel trick! Whooosh, set fire to my left leg too ;)

Ah the memories, I did this on a bike 30 years ago. The petrol tank was knackered so we had swapped it for a Fairy Liquid bottle taped to the frame, bit of petrol leakage didn't worry us too much until we tried the plug against the barrel trick! Whooosh, set fire to my left leg too ;)

They do flood easily, especialy if the bike falls over. The ignition system on the boy is very poor to say the least. If it is an early type can make it a real pain to start.

Dave M

Hoorahhh! Got it going!

Left it over night - turned the fuel to off - and then gave it 5 or 6 good kicks with the trottle fully open.

Then turned the pertol on, and got kicking again - and hey presto!

Managed to put a hole throught the bottom of my shoe in the proceeds - ahh well!

Thanks for the pointer chaps.

Cheers - Boner.