08 National Format

ishy

This was brought up at out club meeting last night. The topic was! can/should the club try and purchase some land.

One way a club can generate a good income, is host a US national, in the 90's our club did host quite a few nationals and the club bank account did grow, being involved in many of those event's, I stated setting out the trial wasn't the hard part, in fact it was fun, weekend days spent clearing trails and sections with other club members, night round the camp fire with a good supply of food and beer.

The big downer always came the weekend of the event, trying to get people to observe or work in some other capacity, some who said they would turn up, but didn't show or changed their mind and decided to ride, myself and other members franticly running around the pits half an hour before the event start, trying to find any living body and beg them to observe, I don't think is very different than any other part of the world, you just notice it more in your own club, and clubs you think are not in the same boat, often are.

I said at the meeting, it got to the point I would no longer put my hand up or put my name forward to host a national, because I could not do one with the few regular givers in the sport you always tap up, and still be left way short on the day.

After saying all that and being a bit negative, I think there is a big opportunity for a club if they will totally commit ( I mean the whole club)

for them to do what many clubs only dream of, that is buy some club property.

Although it may of come about by the lack of interest by clubs to host a US national in 08, I think the 08 series may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Having only two location's to attend, I think the entries for those events will be closer to two hundred than one, this may pose some problems for the clubs hosting the events, like long lines and time limits for the events, but thought out in advance they can be dealt with,keep in mind! long sections and short loops are not good for large entries.

If this format of two three day event's works, with the higher entry fee coupled with a large entry over three days of competition, it could be very possible for host clubs to start thinking about earning enough to purchase land, this incentive alone could lead to more clubs willing to host national trials, I don't think you could do it off one weekend, but a few would put a club in a good position.

Just my thought's, but the biggest problems most face when thinking about riding a national series, amount of travel, the time needed to travel, and the expense of traveling many times across this big country, with the 08 format, the time off work and fuel saved more than covers the hike in entry fees.

Only time will tell, but the more I think about the 08 series, the more it looks like a good thing, I suppose it depends on how much clubs would desire to own a place they could meet, ride and call their own.