Villiers 6,7&8e Engines

pixie

Hi I wonder as a new member if there are any of you out there with experience of modding the pre 9E engines . I'm hoping to get back into trialling my Norman fitted with mildly modded 8E . If we start with the exhaust I made a tidy but confused system with the front pipe crossing over from left to right around the front downtube and over the top of the flywheel / gearbox to enter a transverse tubular pot of two chambers and very short with the tailpipe blowing down onto the rear chain . Neat yes , confusing the charge I suspect so No.1 on my list; any thoughts ?

Would like to keep it high level really , considered just cut and shut of standard silencer from Armours . Next up is the S24 Villiers carb as these seem to go porous with time , so a Mikuni or a carb of MZ 125/150and rubber mounted onto original stub-fitting manifold . Porting is all standard as I've never seen inside a successful barrel , just 40thou skimmed of the top of the iron barrel . Ignition I am happy with after a tree-stump collided with the outside flywheel and sheared most of the 6 screws so drill and tap out to next size and remove the original coils . Now it runs original points with 6volt coil snug by that exhaust and a Honda 50 battery between the Armstrong forks and behind a hindged nunberplate .

Gearbox was the only one available at the time 23 years ago ; a 12D 125 model and means unless I'm going for it down a mountain that bottom gear is it ! I think I just have a roadster 197 box in bits or maybe more , 2 gears would be nice if confusing to an old timer . Only 4-speeder 9E box I have is running my lathe !

Many thanks Pixie

a browse of yorkshire classics website photo gallery should reveal all you need. the best guys there in the vintage class run 8 e, usually at trials they have letters rather than numbers

thier bikes are usually very soft and very controllable look for pics of atkinson morgan hill or gowan for the more competative bikes

http://yorksclassictrials.co.uk/images/Rog...issBarnett..JPG

http://yorksclassictrials.co.uk/images/Rog...RigidJames..JPG

http://yorksclassictrials.co.uk/images/Rog...esSection6..JPGhttp://poacherspre65trials.co.uk/Pictures%202007/Wickenby2/f.jpg

Edited by totalshell

Hi Pixie,

I used to run an 8E with a four speed box when I were a lad, which was made for that era motor, not a 9E, it stuck out a lot farther than the 3 speed but can't remember what the difference in ratios was. (Well I was pretty young then). Can't help with any mods, only to take some time lapping the flywheel onto the crankshaft to help stop the timing from slipping.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Pixie,

I used to run an 8E with a four speed box when I were a lad, which was made for that era motor, not a 9E, it stuck out a lot farther than the 3 speed but can't remember what the difference in ratios was. (Well I was pretty young then). Can't help with any mods, only to take some time lapping the flywheel onto the crankshaft to help stop the timing from slipping.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks, maybe you had the 7E type box rather typical of Albion style , think I'll stick to 3-ish speeds , besides I've hardly used those !

Did once lap the flywheel after Preisthouse stump bashing . I gather from Armours that many fit the 2F type silencer and a Greeves TFS type pipe , now I need to change Villiers S24 swiss cheese carb for smaller Mikuni , maybe off GP100 Suzuki Pixie