Slipping Kick Start On Gas Gas Tx 250 1998

3006phil

Never taken a Gas Gas apart but I would imagine that you have lost a few teeth from the kickstart idler gear. The one that generally engages with the clutch housing.

Have you drained the oil lately? Any metal coming out with the oil?

I take it when you say it is slipping you do not mean that the kickstart is slipping on the splined shaft coming out of the casing.

Yes this is a common problem but to be fair the TX is getting on a bit now.

Don't waste your time just replace the two kickstart ratchet gears. Phone gasgas UK and they will know which 2 gears you mean.

Its an easy job to do and is easily done in an afternoon

Hello, just wondering someone could throw me some light on a problem with my bike. The kick start is slipping quite regularly. Is this a common fault. Just wanting to know where to start looking when I remove engine casing.

I think Blocky is right and the gears should be replaced as a unit. To keep it from happening again, be sure to take up slack in the kickstart lever to engage the racheting mechanism and use body weight to spin it over rather than just jab at the lever. I see a lot of riders kick at, rather than on, the lever and this will create quite an unnecessary shock load on the gears.

Jon