Week 43 - Good News For Little Johnnie

Andy

One of the things that I feel is important for the kids is not just the riding, but the whole trials ethos. When I got into trials, I was lucky that my father (a RR Engineer) taught me certain engineering principles and methods that have stayed with me to this day. I can remember some of my best father/son moments were spent fettling bikes(cycles & motorbikes). He never saw me ride or was even interested to be honest, but would always help and advise me when working on the bike.

I went round the Danby's tonight and was talking with Ross & his Dad Mick and its very much the same with them too as it was with me and my dad and its good to see. :banana2:

I hate it when you see the dads doing all the bike stuff and the kids do nothing but ride. Its the old saying, give a man a fish, and feed him for a day. Show a man how to fish, and feed him for life!

well said,

when i was 16 my dad gave me my first bike - it was a 15 year old bsa bantam in two tea-chests which he had swapped for a Vincent silencer ! -there was not one part of it together. I spent months building, painting, polishing and learned more about engines, gearboxes, ignition systems, suspension, wheels etc etc than i could have by reading any manual. I got it going and took it through the woods and fields getting the off road bug. It quickly was replaced by a TL125 and the rest is history. - the amusing end to the tale was a few years ago when clearing out the garage junk at an autojumble i sold the old bantam and used the money to buy a new silencer for my Vincent - how things go round !

On the same subject when backmarking at the Scottish about three years ago we came upon this lad with a Scorpa which had expired out on the moor - i couldnt believe what i saw when we came upon him - he was on the phone to his dad who was talking him through what to do and how to check it out - where is the youth of today going :banana2: