Pinky Help

neil88green

The chain will slowly wear the swingarm away unless there is a protector. The protector is sacrificial and wears out slowly. It is no big deal in the short term to have the chain touching the swingarm. Pinkys have steel swingarms so the wear rate will be slow.

Yes the swingarm has to come out. I expect it would take a motorcycle mechanic about 30 minutes to replace a protector on a clean bike. Sounds like you haven't done much work on bikes yet so it would probably take you a fair bit longer. You will need tools to fit the swingarm pivot axle and both shock mount bolts. Make sure you clean the bike well before you start or you will get dirt in the swingarm pivot bearings.

I would suggest buying a new protector and fitting it when convenient ie when you have to take the wheel out next to clean the brakes or replace the tyre.

Thanks I am not to bad with the spanners but the bike is new to me the rear wheel etc comes out every time I use the bike for cleaning so it is in a partial strip down state at the moment. The big problem is I have no manual so I did not want to remove the swinging arm unless I had to and dont want to strip it down and find lots of needle bearings all over my workshop floor...

Thanks for your advice, do you know if they are needle bearings in the swinging arm? may save me time later..I will order the part when the holidays are over

Quick update just gone out to workshop and removed the swinging arm in about 20 mins just got to await parts arrival then reassembly.. Luckily everything had been greased up well and I think rebuilt not long ago as everything came to bits easy enough hope it goes back together as easy...

Edited by neil88green

I would expect that if you have a standard pinky it will have needle roller bearings with rollers that will stay in position within the bearings until you slide the bearing inner bushes out ie you should be able to slide the swingarm axle out and remove the swingarm from the frame without having rollers fall out.