The One-armed Trials Rider

bwc352

I used to play rugby with a bloke that lost his leg below the knee. You'd honestly never know. For those in the UK, I played for Salisbury for a while and we'd occasionally play a pub team (in fact probably the only pub team I've ever seen that could play a half decent rugby club and not suffer).

One xmas friendly match with them, his prosthetic limb got damaged, and they called the St Johns ambulance across. An oldish bloke and a similar aged lady came strolling over and took a look at the angle of his leg, then straight away beckoned the ambulance to come on the pitch.

One of the lads (I think his brother actually) said he was a doctor and offered to help out, and proceeded to pull his foot off. I just wish I had a camera to record the look on the St Johns ambulance crew's face. One of the funniest things I've ever seen :rolleyes:

Edited by bikespace

Dear Mr. Studious ,

It has been ....well, ...many Moons since I have confided in your vast and infinite wisdom .

With all and many apologies , I humbly submit that if you ever happen to cross paths with the " One Legged One " !! .....!

Tell him to "GIVE ME A FRIGGIN CALL "!... please :rolleyes:

Yer Bud,

JT

Hey JT!

I'll be sure to tell him next time our paths cross.

Here's an addition to Bikespace's post about the ambulance guys surprise seeing the loose leg: When I first went to Chris's ranch to help him set up his first Trials there we were roaring through the wooded area and headed on a steep downhill to the creek. Trying to keep up with him on our loop was a big chore and despite the loss of a leg and some fingers, that guy can fly on a bike and I used to race flat track so I can step it up when I have to and it took just about all I had. I was following him trying to keep up, headed down the steep, rocky trail when all of a sudden a riderless leg comes flying by me, causing me to promptly hit a tree at the bottom on the hill. His prothesis had come undone and I was able to dodge it, but at great cost to my delicate psyche. Needless to say, we had a good laugh......

Jon

Sounds like I'm making it up now - how many amputees is a bloke likely to know, but I'm sure some of the UK blokes on here will know Howard Bainbridge. I remember flying along a track trying to keep up with him on a bike I'd borrowed from my old man. I hasten to add, the bike wasn't slowing me down, I think mine was a 250 Yam and Howards was a modified BSA, B40 or C15 maybe, it was the fact that the bloke is a nutcase :rolleyes: Howard lost most of his leg in a road bike accident years ago (probably 20 years or more now). I'm sure he's got it all more organised now, but I remember it flapping in the breeze as i chased him up a track, then a bit later on, he stopped at a gate and fell flat against the bank, trying to put a leg down that he hadn't got. What a character he is. :angry: