Txt 280 Rear Brake

joandemma

Can anyone think why the rear brake on my TXT280 has gone soft with pedal going right to stop now. Brake has been great for a while, tookme a lot of time to bleed it last time. Can't see any leaks anywhere- do you think it could be seals at pedal end? Cheers in advance.

Can anyone think why the rear brake on my TXT280 has gone soft with pedal going right to stop now. Brake has been great for a while, tookme a lot of time to bleed it last time. Can't see any leaks anywhere- do you think it could be seals at pedal end? Cheers in advance.

Might be the o-ring/seal, especially if the rubber boot is broken, which will allow fine grit to get in (grit+brake fluid=grinding compound). Check to be sure there is a little slack where the rod meets the piston (up inside the boot and it's the same for clutch and front brakes). I've seen riders tighten up that rod too much (trying to change the brake lever height) and the bleed hole is blocked off when the piston does not return fully to it's stop at the circlip. The brake will get worse as time goes on as the fluid can't enter the master cylinder to equalize the system. Sometimes the fitting at the master cylinder will get loose as the crush washers compress under flexing so you might check that also.

Jon