My First Gasgas :)

txt270gasgas

Hi

I have just got my first GasGas, I have only ever had one trials bike before , which was 13 years ago and it was a suzuki beamish so please bear with me if i dont kno the correct terms for things. I am more a pedal power guy but just moved to the Welsh Valleys do though i would give it a crack.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the bike as some one said the forks werent standard, and to be honest the dont seem to rebound all the way back and are quite soft. Is there any way of adjusting the compression and rebound, or should i just get them serviced. I know its not a Pro but seemd a good bike to start out on as i have heard they are bullet proof.

Any info much appreciated !

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

jesus those pics are bloody lifesize arent they, 1st things 1st matey, get the bugger cleaned up, serviced, greased, lubed, and new plug cap by looks of things. if you havent done forks, take them to dealer, as for bullet proof, well.... :rolleyes:

pete

Hi

I have just got my first GasGas, I have only ever had one trials bike before , which was 13 years ago and it was a suzuki beamish so please bear with me if i dont kno the correct terms for things. I am more a pedal power guy but just moved to the Welsh Valleys do though i would give it a crack.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the bike as some one said the forks werent standard, and to be honest the dont seem to rebound all the way back and are quite soft. Is there any way of adjusting the compression and rebound, or should i just get them serviced. I know its not a Pro but seemd a good bike to start out on as i have heard they are bullet proof.

Any info much appreciated !

Looks like a 98 or a 99 model. I think the 97's were the last of the Ti Nitride coating on the tubes and they went to a Boron based coating in 98, at least in the U.S. models.

What's the VIN number on the headstock (behind the headlight)? It will start with "**VTRGG". I'll be able to tell you what model the frame is and we can figure if the three-piece lower leg is stock.

Jon

Cheers for your replies

Heres is the Vin Plate, Only just noticed that it says 98 on it, but the bike was sold as a 99 so bit gutted about that, should have checked (oldest trick in the book).

Also noticed there is dial on top with an E on it, what should this do ?. I tried turning it but its stuck, should i try and force it ?

DSC_0191.jpg

Cheers

Jos

Edited by txt270gasgas

Cheers for your replies

Heres is the Vin Plate, Only just noticed that it says 98 on it, but the bike was sold as a 99 so bit gutted about that, should have checked (oldest trick in the book).

Also noticed there is dial on top with an E on it, what should this do ?. I tried turning it but its stuck, should i try and force it ?

DSC_0191.jpg

Cheers

Jos

O.k., here we go:

"VTRGG"=International manufactuers code, "GG" is GasGas, Trials type

"27"=270 model

"98"=model year

"01"=month of manufacture

"98"=year of manufacture

"0884"=sequential number off the assembly line

So, you have a 1998 270, built in January of 1998 and was the 884th one built.

First, I would advise to never force any adjustment on a bike. If you need to force it, something needs work. You'll need to disassemble the top cap and lube the internal screw adjustment and possibly replace the o-ring. The "E" stands for "extensio'n" (spanish) or "estensione" (italian), which is "extension" in English, but most of us refer to it as "rebound".

Cheers.

Jon

Edited by JSE