290 Exhaust Repack..when To Do It

dabomb

Hi all,how do you know when the .exhaust needs repacking??,my 290 has developed what can only be described as a cracking sound rather than a pop if you know what i mean., i really dont like the sound its making at the mo.Would a repack change this???

Thanks in advance

I have a 2004 Sherco 250 at the moment, my mate rides a 290 and mine sounds very tinny compared to his, ive been contemplating a repack for some time now but i have been in doubt wether or not its just down to the different engine sizes or the fact my packng is no longer effective....

Are the 250 sherco's more raspy/tinny than the 290's?

We have covered this before, but it basically comes down to replacing them unless you have a tig machine in the shed!

As far as "when"? When they sound bad enough to warrant it and de-coking does no good! :rotfl:

Welding the box up is no problem,and to be honest,it doesnt sound good at all,and with the bike getting on for 4 years,it probably due re-packing.I will try to locate the postings on this subject if they are still available.

Welding the box up is no problem,and to be honest,it doesnt sound good at all,and with the bike getting on for 4 years,it probably due re-packing.I will try to locate the postings on this subject if they are still available.

I think Al Bechard had the best pics and advice on cutting the old one openand cutting out the spotwelds!

I have a 2004 Sherco 250 at the moment, my mate rides a 290 and mine sounds very tinny compared to his, ive been contemplating a repack for some time now but i have been in doubt wether or not its just down to the different engine sizes or the fact my packng is no longer effective....

Are the 250 sherco's more raspy/tinny than the 290's?

NO

No, I use silent sport or the moose packing (which I think is actually silent sport)

I also used stainless wool, and plain steel wool up front.

Probably the two things I question each time are

Is that packed enough?

Did I wad it up too much after I was stuffing it under the cover?

For me, the pain is too make sure the packing is not trying to sneak out the edges of the cover, if you weld (tig) across a piece of packing you will notice, and probably end up grinding and rewelding that bubble.

I have said it in the other threads, and will say it here as well.

These are practical for me to do as a welding exercise. I have all the equipment sitting quietely in the basement, and welding is almost as much a hobby for me as the bikes are. That said, if I did not have all the stuff sitting there, there would be no way I would consider rebuilding one to be cost effective.