Professional Events

alan bechard

I will be putting on a large (our standards) regional event next year, I would like to include as many components of a "professional" event as I can.

By professional, I mean, large, well run, established, impressive. It is just the best word I could think of.

In your opinion, what gives an event that "look" or maybe "feel"

I am thinking the large fireworks tent, banners of bike manufacturers and vendors, flagging and marking??????

Thoughts, comments or ideas?

JMO here.A well organized pit area with EZ up tents.Lots of vendors,GOOD FOOD vendors(important stuff for a fat boy like me]clean porta cans.An easy to understand program that is free,bike trials demos.You already know all this but when put together it makes for an impressive show for the uninitiated and a show is what most want to see.Good luck with it.

One thing for sure is a great scoring and entertainment tent. Computer's to update loop scores and a big board to keep tabs on the riders. Like Trials Inc did. A betting arena to place bets on a riders score in each section, a huge TV monitor with odds should flash up to the minute details. Multi angled cameras at every section recording the action.

Place a couple of sections near the pits for those who want to stay close and some ATV pulled hay wagon to transport those who want to venture deeper into the course with out walking. This transporter should be tuxedo clad.

Two observers and a score card girl in a bikini observering at every section.

A live rock band performing two shows, once in the afternoon and once in the evening.

Free food and Beer.

Hi Alan,

Are you talking about the May STRA and Trials inc. event.???

Who's classes are you going to use? Just a couple different.

But year end scoring considerations between the clubs.

"I am thinking the large fireworks tent, banners of bike manufacturers and vendors, ??????"

If your doing these things for the spectators. Fine, But for just riders, it's just fluf, that most don't care about. It's about the ride.

A spectator loop ? and a rider loop?

2 or more starting sections( quick to ride ) with extra checkers to eliminate bottlenecks for the first loop. 4 loops of 10 sections with the top guys taking ~10 points a loop.

A bonfire for ppl to get together and BS at on Sat. nite.

Milt

Edited by Motomilt

Hi Milt,

Will use both sets of classes, some will be merged, IE Nov A from TI and NOV from STRA, some will be stand alone, Womens in STRA.

To recieve points for your club, say TI, you would be required to ride a class that your club has, ie, you could not ride "Womens" and recieve TI points.

Yes, I am speaking of the May first and Second joint TI / STRA event.

Tent, banners etc, are to give it a more "professional" (for lack of a better descriptiion) apperance for a couple of things, somewhat to other riders, but also hopefully to some interested public.

There will probably be 4 or 5 "starting" sections is the way that I normally run that.

I believe in at least 2 observers per section with some floats to eliminate, or at least minimize bottlenecks.

It is a 40 acre site, that will be crisscrossed with the trails, there is not room for seperate spectator loops, but they are provided a map and it is an easy area to navigate around. Did you come ride it last year?

Speaking of "starting sections". It seems to me that this has been done just randomly. I was thinking that for our group we could track the time in for the riders and figure out what group gets in the quickest on average. Use that information to get the differant groups to their starting sections. Does this make sence?

Speaking of "starting sections". It seems to me that this has been done just randomly. I was thinking that for our group we could track the time in for the riders and figure out what group gets in the quickest on average. Use that information to get the differant groups to their starting sections. Does this make sence?

What I was replying too was that you said it seemed it was done randomly.

It was not done randomly, it was done with a fair amount of Forethought.

An attempt (successful I may say) was made to get the riders through one particular section in as timely a manner as possible. Therefore, we started the slowest riders there, and worked backwards from that point.

We will probably reverse the order this time.

The first loop is always the longest loop for everyone, barring mechanical problems, changes in weather etc.

That was why I had the extra observers out for the first loop looking for bottlenecks (Dwight, and I thought yourself)

Higher classes take longer than lower classes to ride almost without exception. The exception there would be if you had a "novice" riding an extremely long challenging loop. Later in the day when the novices are not at their freshest, and the Champs are hauling the mail to get in on time, you can see it get upside down.

A large contributing factor to the time frames is also that as a general statement, the higher class riders will have more obstacles to overcome per section, they will generally also take more set up time than a lower rider, and truly serious riders will usually dismount for a quick look prior to riding.

Dean and I are on the extremely fast end of things, which is why I tend to call it NASCAR trials. We tend not to look and we make pretty fair time down the trails. But we are an anomaly. Jordan and yourself are on the other side of that spectrum when it comes to times.

The middle though, between us, is where most riders are at.

As to who finishes first, it depends on starting positions on the loop, this is often determined by easy access to the "middle" sections, and personally, I believe fully in what Glen McNeal said about starting people on an "easy" section for their line, gives a nice way to start the day and get things going on a positive note.

Anyway, I would like this topic to head back more towards the original question, I have a handle on how I will start the different classes.

What can I do to achieve a more professional appearing event?

One of my pet peeves is loop marking. Study how a good enduro master marks his course and follow suite. I'm amazed how many riders in our local events get off course, and most of it is due to haphazard marking with ribbon only. A properly marked loop should use arrows and ribbons. A note to each observer telling him/her in which direction the next section is found would be a very nice touch, ( or a sign close to the end of each section). The loop is not an afterthought, it is an intregal part of the trials event and should be treated as such. Thanks for letting me rant Alan, I know you'll put together a great event.