A Question About Minders

michaelmoore

I was watching some of the world round videos on Youtube today. I'd not seen any modern trials at that level before and "impressive" doesn't begin to describe the riding ability of those guys.

However, I thought minders were supposed to be there to catch someone before they fell off something and injured themselves. It looked like trials has become a team sport, with the minder right next to the rider in a section, and it seemed like he was busy giving instructions to the rider on wheel placement and lines.

This seems very odd to me. I could see getting advice from someone before riding a section. I'm certainly glad to get good advice on lines and technique. But when did the minders start doing this detailed "in section" management? Do the rules have provisions that cover behavior of the minders while a section is being ridden so that a rider can be penalized if the minder does something he shouldn't? Is a minder limited to a specific number of times he can offer advice/coaching, or can they give direction for every foot of the section?

Do the riders normally wait for the minders to catch up before they try each obstacle? You'd have to be really fit to spend that much time doing rough terrain running trying to keep up with the rider.

cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have tons of Duke Video (google them) and TrialsTV.com DVDs on world rounds....far superior to youtube videos...but not right up to the minute like youtube can possibly be. I LOVE those trials DVDs!

Minders can give advice all day long (at least they seem to on the world rounds I've ridden and watched at, and on the DVDs.)

They largely seem to give "in section" advice (while the rider is actually riding) for rear-wheel placement, since riders don't seem to like having to look down at their rear-wheel.

Martin Lampkin in-section quotes while Dougie is actually riding:

*"Inch left!"

*"This is where it all happens...come on boy!!" (at the toughest step at a Donner USA world round.)

*"Big effort!"

*"Look up!"

*"110%!"

*"Two tires left" (and then Dougie complains he doesn't want to and then Martin yells "TWO TIRES LEFT!!", and Dougie complies.)

Sometimes Martin's commentary is more enjoyable to listen to than it is even to watch Dougie!

I swear to god I saw, at the CPTA Canadian world round (1991?), a minder for Steve Saunders (who shall remain nameless) actually loudly direct Steve to back up while in the section (legal then) TO ACTUALLY TOUCH THE MINDER'S FOOT with Steve's rear-wheel, to help in getting traction to launch at a big step and to help in not going backwards over a large ledge! It was shameless. Probably not Steve's "fault"...maybe just an over-zealous young minder?

Minders have been known to distract the observer in order for the rider to reach down (illegally) and remove a pesky rock.

In 2008, I think some of the top riders use 2-way in-helmet radios to communicate in-section with their minder(s). Todotrial.com has pictures of the Spanish nationals where that seems to be taking place. I love it! Fuji seemed to be the first to use them? Fuji is a class-act.

Yes, they wait, usually, for their minders to catch up, so that the minder can advise, and "catch" them if needed. I'm maybe too old to be an effective minder, as they are often seen RUNNING through sections while scaling massive rocks.

Edited by Funtrials

When did this "in section advisor" become common practice? I presume it was after the elimination of the no-stop rule as a minder wouldn't be of much use as anything but a " safety catcher" if you couldn't do all the hopping and backing and forthing.

cheers,

Michael

When did this "in section advisor" become common practice? I presume it was after the elimination of the no-stop rule as a minder wouldn't be of much use as anything but a " safety catcher" if you couldn't do all the hopping and backing and forthing.

cheers,

Michael

Good point.

I think the FIM no-stop rule started in 1998, and while it was in effect the minders did seem to do SOME in-section "positioning advice", but they were mostly catchers, mechanics, in-section cheerleaders, supplies carriers, moral-support providers, etc.

It's also tough to be right around a rider a lot when you have to almost run after him (over huge obstacles) in a section because he can't stop. Much much easier to be near a world rider when he can ride way way slower in the section (can take up to 2 minutes.)

Before 1998, when world riders could backup (and currently in the INdoor FIM series) minders played a greater role than they do today, it can be argued. Hard for riders to look behind them.