Ty175 Conks Out

kimpybugalugs

Hi All

Any pointers on the following problem greatly appreciated:

I can start my TY and it'll run for a few seconds and then it kind of "fluffs out" (probably not a correct technical term). It'll start again after a few kicks and do the same again. Using or not using the choke seems to make no difference. Revving or not revving seems to make no difference. It still conks out after a few seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

Hi All

Any pointers on the following problem greatly appreciated:

I can start my TY and it'll run for a few seconds and then it kind of "fluffs out" (probably not a correct technical term). It'll start again after a few kicks and do the same again. Using or not using the choke seems to make no difference. Revving or not revving seems to make no difference. It still conks out after a few seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

What's the overall condition of the bike? How old are the seals? Is the carb clean with fresh parts? Was it running properly before?

The bike was running previously. It seems to have reasonable compression and initial fire up happens 1st or 2nd kick. As far as I know it has never had an engine strip. I have just removed all the autolube gear. I have blocked the inlet on the manifold where the autolube "injected" the oil so this is not sucking air. Carb looks to be original and untouched so maybe time for a clean and/or overhaul? I have just fitted a brand new kill button - i'll check to see it is not faulty.

Thanks for your help.

Kill button doesn't seem to be the problem.

Leave it overnight and it fires up first kick, runs for about 5 seconds then conks out.

I tried swearing at it but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I have to swear in Japanese?

looks like the carb is coming apart this weekend.

Are you sure that you have blocked the oil inlet on the Carb? On the TY175 the oil coming from the pump goes directly into the Carb on the right hand side at the front. I use any auto shop vac plugs which fit over the pipe and won't fall off. As you say it was running before you removed the autolube system this is the most likely cause. Failing that then clean the carb blowing through the the choke and pilot jets. If you think the problem is ignition related remove the kill switch wire from the live wire, set the points to 15 thou, fit a new plug at 22 thou, NGK B9ES or a B7ES, and I'm assuming you are now running 40:1 ?

Tony