Fantic 200 Ignition Timing

isaacely

Can anyone offer any advice how best to check the ignition timing on my fantic 200, I have checked it using the marks on the flywheel and the 2 lines on the ignition pickup is this accurate enough? Is it possible to use a timing strobe light? I have a dial gauge to put in the spark plug hole but how do you tell when the spark will occur? I am not sure the timing is out but the reason I am trying to check is that the engine has ran backwards a few times when at a trial making me go in reverse! So this is not helping my results much.

Thanks for the advice

I spoke with Bill Pye who was very helpfull who said use the marks. I have also had the bike run backwards so I set the timing to the retarded side of the two marks (you can get a few degrees different if you put it in the middle or towards one mark or the other). It has been fine since. Good luck,

I spoke with Bill Pye who was very helpfull who said use the marks. I have also had the bike run backwards so I set the timing to the retarded side of the two marks (you can get a few degrees different if you put it in the middle or towards one mark or the other). It has been fine since. Good luck,

Thanks for the advice, do you need to remove the flywheel to adjust the timing?