Water And Oil

boner

Guys, I drained the oil from my lads TXT last night and it looked quite milky.

It had an oil change last week, with fresh ATF fluid, then did a trial over the weekend.

Having to do some engine work anyway, so drained the oil, and was suprised to see that it was quite discoloured already.

Do you think there could be some water creaping in from somewhere? Or does the oil/atf sicoulour quite rapidly when worked hard?

Cheers - Boner.

Guys, I drained the oil from my lads TXT last night and it looked quite milky.

It had an oil change last week, with fresh ATF fluid, then did a trial over the weekend.

Having to do some engine work anyway, so drained the oil, and was suprised to see that it was quite discoloured already.

Do you think there could be some water creaping in from somewhere? Or does the oil/atf sicoulour quite rapidly when worked hard?

Cheers - Boner.

Another thing to check is the routing of the overflow hose off the radiator cap. Things are quite "busy" in that area where most of the electrics reside and some riders will run the tube over the crossbrace, where the bottom of the fuel tank will pinch it off. When the coolant heats up, this will allow enough pressure to build up in the cooling system to force coolant past the W/P seal into the tranny fluid.

If you replace the waterpump seal, check the shaft for wear and if there's a significant groove on the shaft there the seal lips ride, replace the shaft also, which will prevent a premature failure of the seal in the future.

Jon

re the above you would be better to order a shaft and seal as a set

i changed my own recently and the wear on the shaft from a rubber seal was unbelievable

watch and make sure you line up the cross bar in the shaft with the space for it in the drive in the engine or you may break it or worse still damage the engine if it over heats

take the shaft off by taking off the brass cover on the front and then undoing the shaft making sure not to forget the washer

just make sure the the clutch cover is snug before you tighten up the allen bolts

Edited by pumpkin trials

take the shaft off by taking off the brass cover on the front and then undoing the shaft making sure not to forget the washer

Be aware that the impellor is a left-hand thread on the shaft end, otherwise you'll think it's stuck. Look for a very small, thin washer that will probably drop out, you'll need to re-install it. Silicone grease on the seal helps ease it in and the Silicone is essentially inert so it won't cause any problems with coolant or tranny oil.

Another thing you may want to look at is that the brass, threaded bushing on the outside of the pump has a Torx receptical rather than the earlier Allen. The Torx type outer bushing is an updated part so you might want to replace that while you're at it (I don't remember you mentioning what year it was, I'm assuming it's a Pro?).

Jon