Snapped Gear Change Shaft!

betarev3

Hi - a friend has snapped off the gearchange shaft on his 2002 SY-250 :dunce: Any advice on what is involved to replace this would be appreciated i.e. is DIY possible? Any additional parts required? Special tools required? Any ideas on parts costs? I am fairly confident with mechanical things, but I don't want to strip it all apart and then have to take it to a dealer in bits because I get stuck :wacko:

It's a fairly easy fix. The shaft goes straight through the case, and can be removed by taking off the right side over (the large right side cover). You most likely will have to take the clutch out, then pull the shaft out. I'd get some new seals for it on the shifter side, and you should be good to go. The worst part will be taking the skid plate off and re-installing it. I think it'll have to come off to get the right side cover off.

Jon

a clutch holding tool will be needed to hold the basket if you dont have an airgun, your local yam dealer should have one that you could borrow for a large deposit !

p.s. how did he break the shaft? its not bent as well is it?