Children

shercoman2k8

Year after year the riders kids travel from across the world to watch there parent(s) ride!

At the sunday parade the Police really annoy me and undoubtedly others by coming up and removing. the cheif inspector actually gave permission for them to ride up the street on mums and dads bikes. But one rather grumpy and unthoughtful PC Hire takes objection to this coming along and removing the kids! upsetting not just them but ruining the whole mood for the start of an excellent event.

any thoughts here please.

jamie

It's a difficult one. I don't want to be a kill joy...but... The bikes taking part have to be "road legal", the Main Street in Fort William is a public road albeit now part of the town's pedestrian area the public have access to it.

If there was to be an accident involving a child or a member of the public (...heaven forbid let's hope there never will be) the proverbial stuff would most definately "hit the fan". Is it not enough for the kids to simply watch Dad ride past?

The Police are well within their rights to remove kids from a machine designed to take one rider without passengers. A trials bike is hardly equipped to accommodate the rider let alone a passenger.

It's all very well until something goes wrong. I would rather see the parade continue without kids than to have no parade at the SSDT at all. It creates a good feeling for the start of a great week.

Big John

The police have explicitly stated that NO children are allowed on bikes this year.

It's a shame for those of you who like to take your kids along the high street with you, but I'm afraid we have to go with what we're told on this one. It's been highlighted to every rider in their entry pack, and will also be brought to everyone's attention on the day, so although it's a disappointment, hopefully it won't be a surprise to anyone this time.

Apologies...

oh and by the way are you one of the nevis radio presenters that are down at the parc ferme every morning john?

Well, I actually assist the presenter David Ogg (Nevis Radio, Station Manager) on the morning show at the parc ferme.

Big John