Chain Cleaning

francley40

some interesting points here and time for another newbie question me thinks :D

on my enduro bike (300 gasser) i always had an o-ring chain , my question is does anyone use them on trials bikes or are they simply not needed ?

thanks

The "O-ring on a Trials bike" controversy is a real can of worms and when mentioned, evokes the "Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge" type of emotions. I've run an o-ring chain on my TY350 for years (same chain and sprockets) but run a regular non o-ring on my Pro (no particular reason other than I had a new one at hand when I changed gearing to 11/44).

Cons: Riders will argue that an o-ring is stiff, eats power, is too heavy and too expensive. The thick sideplate o-rings will cause clearance problems, especially at the chain tensioner slipper and are generally not worth the extra money.

Pros: The new thin sideplate "X" ring chains are essentially as light as a regular chains, over time will transmit power much more effeciently with less power loss, do not cause clearance problems, don't attract gunge as they don't need heavy chain lube, decrease sprocket wear and over time, will more than pay for themselves.

You get to choose.

Jon