Bangor Updates

city trials

Whoa there, per se look it up atom, don't distort. An american who can challenge for WTC points is probably good for trials. Whether this is Pat depends on lots of things..........getting stuck in is the first step taking advice is another. Mine counts for next to nowt but theres others worth listening to.

Time penalties are very important and are learned on the way up, in europe. For example either 04 or 05 wiggy lost a euro youth round when clean because he took longer to complete the course, time is part of this game. Since then I could count time penalties on one hand I bet. Always is in euro/wtc so learn fast.

Raga help a youth, somehow when he doesn't even acknowledge their exsistance I doubt it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... An american who can challenge for WTC points is probably good for trials.

Agree :thumbup:

This was the point I was making. If the US gets a world champ and it's marketed well, the results should see an increase in interest in the sport in the US. That means there will be more bikes for the likes of Ishy to sell... :o etc etc.

This is the reason I was interested in what happened in the US when Bernie won in '79. The comments in that thread led me to believe there was an upturn in the sport which if reproduced with Pat, would benefit everyone I believe.

IMHO :lol:

Sounds like the natives {EUROPEANS} are getting restless, nervous, scared.

GO get them Patrick. You can do it !!!

One against how many? :thumbup:

Seriously, good luck to him and all the others who are putting the effort in...

PS.

Not many of us class ourselves as European, or British but ENGLISH (or Scottish or Welsh or Irish etc...)

I have to admit Dabster made some points, but I am a bit in disagreement about having Chaves as a minder. David is a very good rider and a quick study. He is always very helpful and has offered much, it seems. More than any others, as I have not seen anyone else offer up much as far as a helping hand or a place to stay for Pat. If you put the shoe on the other foot! Put the majority of the rounds in the US with a flyaway in the EU and Japan, you would probably find much more help, specially for the youth riders.

I was recently told by Dale, the US GG importer, that Louise may get to spend some time with Jordi as a helping hand to her. I hope so!

I do not care if you are a class champ or not, the exchange program for the kids is worth it in itself. And I can actually tell you that it is possible in at least a couple of places that I can think of.

Maybe CHARLIE will PM me! :thumbup:

Sorry guy's Pat's not your man,more lightly to be the one following him,so that could be another 10 years wait.

I can't work out if your congratulating the kid for being there or for losing,what ever the case there the wrong reason.

Edited by bilc0

I can't work out if your congratulating the kid for being there or for losing,what ever the case there the wrong reason.

Didn't he get a 1st and a 2nd place last week in Bangor? Coming 2nd isn't winning but to be fair, it's not like he came 10th and lost massively.

It's a big effort/expense for one of the Euro/Brit lads to go to America for a single round so it makes sense that it takes more commitment and money for one of their riders to come to Europe and do several rounds over a couple of weeks.

Pat Smage is obviously America's best hope for the future currently, he may improve, he may not. Only time will tell...

Coming 2nd isn't winning

That's the thing,in he's supporter's eye's coming 2nd is a fantastic result and think it need's to be congratulated,they could'nt be more wrong,as in patrick's mind he may be thinking he may aswell of come 10th atleast thats how i hope he think's,he must be getting close to jumping upto junior's then up to the big boy's.

I think you just got to let him get he's head down and do the serious training without aload of fuss around him(i think thats how Bernie done it).When he come's first give him a pat on the back,anything less than 1st he get's blanked.

As for the expense part,yes it's alot of money,however if he made solid connection's in Europe that could help him not needing as much money to be here. The question is,is Pat to much of a home boy to want to come and make those connection's

He's in the middle of it all now,time for the hype around him to stop and let him concentrate on winning.

Edited by bilc0

Aye, I half get what you are saying now.

Did you read Pat's blog? I think CT posted a link to it the other day, my first thoughts were 'he whines and moans on a bit' but I suppose he was rightly p****d off at not winning both days especially with having a 5 in the final section - he made it quite clear that he couldn't wait to leave though!

PS.

If Doug, Dabill or Brown came 2nd next week, we would all be saying well done and congratulating them :thumbup:

Edited by Kinell

I think you are being a bit harsh Bilco. If you read His Blog it is clear he hasn't enjoyed the Bangor experience but, and this is a big but.. he states he has been feeling the pressure, riding poorly, has some back pain and doesn't like the cold and despite all that, he won the European round and narrowly missed out on the win in the YTC. He will come good I am sure and he needs to!

I have watched Jack ride a few times now and I can see he doesn't give less than 100% at anytime . Just look at his photos, his face of gritted determination is always present. He will get better and better with the team he is with and he is already conditioned to the European scene where most of the events will take place. I'm split here as I would like Jack to win (being a brit of course) yet I would like a US champion in the hope it grows the sport in the US with the benefits rubbing off on the rest of the trials scene.

Either way, whoever comes out on top, it's going to be a great spectacle and I cant wait to get out there to Sequatchie to get a look in.

p.s. The US round is by far the best value with an absolutely superb trials venue and 2 world championship rounds to watch. Also, the weather was superb last time I went, a few showers but otherwise baking hot.

:thumbup:

Bring on the Yanks, I remember the stir Bernie caused Damned Colonials letting them in like that how dare they....... well the more the merrier.

One thing Dabster said is true though and Bernie had to do it too and that was stick it out. It has to be tough for any kid coming over to Europe for a year.

I have a huge respect for what Pat's trying to do and if he can put US trials seriously back on the world map then that's brilliant.

Edited by Slapshot 3