Bangor Updates

city trials

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I admire Pat Smage for having a go but I think the importance being attached to him riding in europe is out of proportion and puts more pressure on him. I dont think his results are going to cause the US population to rush out and buy trials bikes even if he does become World Champion in a few years, but thats got more to do with the exchange rate and the us economy than Pats results.

I think the hype or fuss is out of proportion as at the moment he is riding 125. I'm not sure how old he is 16 maybe 17 ? Bou was riding world rounds at 17 I think and a young Dougie Lampkin was still 17 or just 18 when he won his first world round. Before there is a stampede of replies I know the sport has changed with the introduction of different classes and the top boys are now further ahead. The point i'm trying to make however is even if Pat Smage was winning the 125 easily the sections are still miles away from the full world championship course so why all the fuss ?

As someone else said leave him to get on with it, he has a long way to go but I hope he gets what he wants out of it. :thumbup:

Pat is still 17, and just because his blog is open and honest, I would not knock the kid, lets face facts here! And not take things out of context. You will probably never see anything that honest out of some of the top bull****ters! They are either full of it, or say little.

Pat just want's to ride! He is the Real Deal!

FACTS:

Travel sucks!

Spending enormous time in a country that you do not speak the language pretty much sucks!

Sitting around hotel rooms, sucks, when you cannot ride!!

Wretched weather and conditions also sucks! And when you are not feeling well, sucks worse!

Just missing a win by a point or a time penalty, well, all I can say is that just pretty much sucks!

Seems his blog is pretty accurate to me, it is a tough game, but the kid is on track and does not know anything less than to give it his best!

And that is pretty simple for me to figure out, and without trying to read anything stupid into it all! The rest can go p*** off!

Keep up the good work, Pat! :thumbup:

And keep it real!

Edited by copemech

I admire Pat Smage for having a go but I think the importance being attached to him riding in europe is out of proportion and puts more pressure on him. I dont think his results are going to cause the US population to rush out and buy trials bikes even if he does become World Champion in a few years, but thats got more to do with the exchange rate and the us economy than Pats results.

I think the hype or fuss is out of proportion as at the moment he is riding 125. I'm not sure how old he is 16 maybe 17 ? Bou was riding world rounds at 17 I think and a young Dougie Lampkin was still 17 or just 18 when he won his first world round. Before there is a stampede of replies I know the sport has changed with the introduction of different classes and the top boys are now further ahead. The point i'm trying to make however is even if Pat Smage was winning the 125 easily the sections are still miles away from the full world championship course so why all the fuss ?

As someone else said leave him to get on with it, he has a long way to go but I hope he gets what he wants out of it. :thumbup:

It's the Lance Armstrong syndrome. We all watched the tour de france. Well....I was watching it anyway. And it's not to much hype if the kid can finish top three. Maybe he will inspire some youth over here. I go to a local trials and maybe have ten youth total. I go to a local hare scrambles and the 65cc class will have 15. The entire morning youth race will have 45 or more.

I agree the expectations are high, and that would put undue pressure on pat. BUT...we wouldn't want him to live up to low expectations.

think the hype or fuss is out of proportion as at the moment he is riding 125. I'm not sure how old he is 16 maybe 17 ? Bou was riding world rounds at 17 I think and a young Dougie Lampkin was still 17 or just 18 when he won his first world round. Before there is a stampede of replies I know the sport has changed with the introduction of different classes and the top boys are now further ahead. The point i'm trying to make however is even if Pat Smage was winning the 125 easily the sections are still miles away from the full world championship course so why all the fuss ?

I dont think it is quite accurate to compare Smage and Bou at the same age. Pat hasnt had the opportunities In the US we have a trial a couple hours away once a month vrs what in Spain? Pat had to ride in a barn in the winter months how cold is it in Spain. Pat has no World Champ or former World Champ to look up to train with. He started riding when he i think he was 11 and at age 12 was and still is the youngest to win the U.S. youth nationals was riding the top adult national at 15 and US champ at 16 as well as picking up a few 125 world wins.

He has defied the odds so far and i dont see why that wont continue. To think that he is nothing special because he lost by one point is crazy also to think that he would not benifit from someone of Jordis calibers training is crazy Leave the kid young man alone and i dont think anyone will be disapointed.

Hi all ,I just thought I would add a few thoughts before thread gets too old. First off I must say Cope has spelled out the reality quite well although for me as the navigator ,I didnt spend hours and hours lost on crazy roads and unmarked detours and I weas also more prepared to pay way too much for way too little as far as meals and travel and lodging I wasnt as uncomfortable as in 07 . Yes it sure would have been a much nicer trip if perhaps we were in Spain or anywhere that was closer to 60 degrees F (we are used to lousy weather up here near Canada but would have loved a break ) And probably the only other big disappointment was the reality that no matter how much time and $ you invest into this sport your best efforts can be ruined by a section official that is inconsistent with the rules and wants to be generous with giving maximum points for what was 1 very long determined push dab. Coming up at TTC it looks like USA has at least 2 more 125 riders and 2 Junior riders so lets get behind the group and have some great finishes. Noel

Edited by northernnorm

Having lived 50 years in the land of excess and open spaces I have grown spoiled like much of our population I suppose. In general we are spending close to 1/2 the money for equal or better quality food and services . It is a huge reality check to see how frugal the rest of the world lives; it would be wise for many of US pop. to experience . With our recent skyrocketing energy costs it is leaving most Americans with a fraction of the amount of $ to save or spend for non essentials,so it feels like it won't be long and most of US will need to behave like most of you. (cramming 4 people in basically a street bike with 4 doors) One other observation I made was that just surviving travel on Europes twisty, narrow ,no shoulder ,crazy driver filled roads will in itself make you a better trials rider in that you will die if you are not highly focused and quick with the reflexes. I happen to be running some of the hills above Dickreich with the 6 speed Audi and some bloke was easily a full meter on my side of a blind curve and I was amazed how well his or her tires squeeled even on wet blacktop. I know our currency has been much stronger but escpecially around the London airport it just hurts to spend = to $20m USD for a very average burger and fries ,Ill spare the rest of the list as it would of course be whining. Cheers

Edited by northernnorm

Northern Norm:

I have been busy organizing and riding a two-day trial over the last three days and clicked back on here only to be absolutely in shock at the length of this thread, and the direction it has gone to. First off, from where I sit, it seems odd to me that guys from the UK would be SO vocal in the way that they are. Not negative I guess, but certainly a bit confrontational. I wondered for a while why that was. Everyone likes to cheer for there favorite rider, but in this case it seems to me that Pats results and ability are a defenite threat to everyone who is from Europe, or the UK.That is a great thing!

Having only ridden abroad once I am hardly calling myself an expert at all, but, I do know all the things you have tryed to explain are really hard for us North Americans to adjust to! It is a REAL obstacle, something that anyone from the UK or Europe would never understand unless they spent a considerable amount of time over HERE. It is hard for anyone to deal with major culture differences like we have. Oh I know the two Continents are considered equal in moderization, but truthfully there are HUGE differences. When I came back from being at the Scottish and being in Scotland for 3 weeks, I never ever realized how spoiled we are over here.......with pretty much everything.

That being said, if it were me in your guys position of handling Pat (and I truly hope I someday get an opportunity like that with my son) I would just ignore anyones elses opinion of if he will make it or not and do what you guys feel is the best for Pat and what will help him the most to let him succeed. Do it YOUR way, and let the naysayers keep quiet when he DOES succeed!! Just my two cents worth!

All the best to TeamSmage and be determined and dont let up!

cheers, Steve

Edited by Steve Fracy

Reguardless of this years competition, I do have my own opinions about Pat and his off season training. Iy would help to get him out of the barn, send him down, as we can put him up in Tish! If TTC is not an option! :thumbup:

Having lived 50 years in the land of excess and open spaces I have grown spoiled like much of our population I suppose. In general we are spending close to 1/2 the money for equal or better quality food and services . It is a huge reality check to see how frugal the rest of the world lives; it would be wise for many of US pop. to experience . With our recent skyrocketing energy costs it is leaving most Americans with a fraction of the amount of $ to save or spend for non essentials,so it feels like it won't be long and most of US will need to behave like most of you. (cramming 4 people in basically a street bike with 4 doors) One other observation I made was that just surviving travel on Europes twisty, narrow ,no shoulder ,crazy driver filled roads will in itself make you a better trials rider in that you will die if you are not highly focused and quick with the reflexes. I happen to be running some of the hills above Dickreich with the 6 speed Audi and some bloke was easily a full meter on my side of a blind curve and I was amazed how well his or her tires squeeled even on wet blacktop. I know our currency has been much stronger but escpecially around the London airport it just hurts to spend = to $20m USD for a very average burger and fries ,Ill spare the rest of the list as it would of course be whining. Cheers

I guessed that may be your answer and would say that over here we learn quickly that you buy very little at airports or its environs. It is never "easy" and having seen that you all found it difficult at times only makes pats achievements to date all the more notable.

If it was easy then anyone could do it.

My only comment would be that you need to take a step back and see it from say a middle england point of view, we have everything we need its fairly reasonable to live, and then to plunge into Spain or France worse still Poland or Czecho is just as difficult to begin with, but thats what the wtc scene is about. Embrace and learn take advice and stay as much as possible then it becomes easier with every trip.

Raga did the full British championship in (2001?) simply to learn the terrain and so on, but best of luck and keep pat off the 290!