Loosing Teeth

boner

Guys can someone set me straight about loosing (or adding teeth) on sprockets.

Are you better loosing teeth off the front sprocket or the back sproket to slow things down?

What happens is I loose one or two off both?

Cheers - Boner.

Taking teeth of the front sprocket will lower the gearing

Taking teeth off the rear will raise the gearing

Obviously vice versa will have the opposite effect. One tooth off the front will have more of an effect than one added to the rear

I would suggest going one tooth smaller on the front for a couple of reasons

1. Gearbox sprockets are normally cheaper than rears!

2. Front sprocket is normally easier/quicker to change

1 tooth less on the front will give you a slower minimum speed with more acceleration and less top end.

Going 3 teeth more on the back will have the same gearing change. 1 front tooth equals 3 back teeth.

Worth mentioning your existing sprocket sizes.

It may be close to 3:1 on the Beta as I know the Beta have a fairly small back sprocket as standard, but on a Sherco for instance it's over 4:1. I have a 10 on the front and a 42 on the back, so its slightly more than 4:1 ratio. (i.e 1 tooth on the front is roughly the same as 4 on the back).

You may have more scope on the Beta for going up a few teeth on the back.

I reckon if you quote your existing sprocket sizes, then look to Beta riders for suggested sizes (and find out what's actually available from suppliers).

Edited by bikespace

Hi Boner

I assume this is for your lads TXT Boy 50?

Well this is what i have decided to do, instead of running the recommended 60T:10T (ratio of 6.0) i plan on running 54T:9T (ratio 6.0) same ratio but avoiding the massive rear wheel size sprocket which i think would be prone to damage.

Sure someone will let me know if i have got this wrong, but seems to make sense to me

Thanks

Tom

Yep, it's the TXT50 Boy. Currently running at 60T:10T.

How do you find that 54T:9T set up Tom?

Don't know about your lads bike, but ours hasn't got enough grunt off the bottom end for up-hill work, and spins up too fast on down-hill.

Just trying to find a good compromise.

Sounds like the 9 tooth front srpoket might do the job...

cheers - Boner.

I haven't tried it yet, im just on with ordering the new sprokets today. I guess Talon had the 60T in stock? they are going to have to make me a 54T, which will mean a bit of a wait.

Has the 60T rear not made it any better on the hills? I thought from reading on here that it made a big difference?

To be honest my lads bike is pretty good on the hills.

Likewise, just waiting for a delivery from Talon!

I'm going to try a 60T:9T configuration first, see how it performs, then start with the back sprocket if needs be!

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers - Boner.

Hi Boner

I assume this is for your lads TXT Boy 50?

Well this is what i have decided to do, instead of running the recommended 60T:10T (ratio of 6.0) i plan on running 54T:9T (ratio 6.0) same ratio but avoiding the massive rear wheel size sprocket which i think would be prone to damage.

Sure someone will let me know if i have got this wrong, but seems to make sense to me

Thanks

Tom

Quite right! There is a bigger tendency for the chain to come off with larger 'dinner plate' rear sprockets so if you can get the correct gearing by dropping teeth off the front that would be better.

Don't know about the TXT boy, but be a little careful.

On my '92 GasGas 320 I ran 1 tooth smaller than standard on the front sprocket and 1 tooth smaller on the rear.

The revised gearing suited me perfectly, but the chain wore through the swinging arm protector and the top of the swinging arm inside 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...