Gas Gas Txt280

markkeen123

hi i have a gas gas 280 not pro. and i was riding back to the van and it jumped out of gear and made a grinding sound and wouldnt drive forward so i turned it of and draind the oil. no metal parts came out and i was wondering if any one has has this problem i have heard about ending the selector fork and braking teeth of the gears wb thanks any help or info would be helpfull i plan on stripping it down next week and am ok with the spaners.

hi i have a gas gas 280 not pro. and i was riding back to the van and it jumped out of gear and made a grinding sound and wouldnt drive forward so i turned it of and draind the oil. no metal parts came out and i was wondering if any one has has this problem i have heard about ending the selector fork and braking teeth of the gears wb thanks any help or info would be helpfull i plan on stripping it down next week and am ok with the spaners.

I hate when that happens! It could be a number of things but it's difficult to tell till you start to pull the engine down. I'd start by taking off the clutch cover and look there before pulling the engine out of the frame as it may be something you can repair without a full extraction and breakdown and it might save you a lot of time.

Jon

Hello Mark,

I'd agree with Jon.

Do you say it is the 280 prior to the PRO?

If so, these motors are pretty reliable and not prone to any selector fork problems. Have a look under the clutch cover, it could be that someone had recently worked on the clutch and forgot to install/look out for the push rod ball bearing. I know of two cases in this neck of the woods where owners have forgotten about this bearing and dramatically found it smashing chunks out of their clutch gears, really!

Not much else to wrong with these motors.

Good luck.

PeterB.

Hello Mark,

I'd agree with Jon.

Do you say it is the 280 prior to the PRO?

If so, these motors are pretty reliable and not prone to any selector fork problems. Have a look under the clutch cover, it could be that someone had recently worked on the clutch and forgot to install/look out for the push rod ball bearing. I know of two cases in this neck of the woods where owners have forgotten about this bearing and dramatically found it smashing chunks out of their clutch gears, really!

Not much else to wrong with these motors.

Good luck.

PeterB.

Thanks PeterB,

I had forgotten about that ball bearing. In just about all "normal" engines (i.e., not Pro), there is a loose ball bearing in the system that goes from the servo cylinder to the clutch pressure plate, usually under the "mushroom" that presses on the clutch plate and it often falls out without notice. Course, the Pro has that little thin thrust washer on the kickstart shaft that sticks to the sidecover when you take it off and then falls off onto the dirt every time!

Jon

txt 280 is how i know it it doesnt have a black clutch cover so i dont think its a pro.

what is this about the ball bearing were abouts does it go ? pics with an arrow would help.

never worked on these bikes but rebuilt many 2stroke chainsaws and disc cutters never rebuilt a bike gear box but done cars.

a rough ider what to look for befor i have a look.thanks for the help hope to get more replyes to help

txt 280 is how i know it it doesnt have a black clutch cover so i dont think its a pro.

what is this about the ball bearing were abouts does it go ? pics with an arrow would help.

never worked on these bikes but rebuilt many 2stroke chainsaws and disc cutters never rebuilt a bike gear box but done cars.

a rough ider what to look for befor i have a look.thanks for the help hope to get more replyes to help

I think we need to establish if it's a Pro or not as they are totally different (and only the later Pros have a black sidecase, earlier ones are "silver" also). Looking at the clutch cover, does it look like you can get at just the clutch by taking out some 3mm Allen buttonhead capscrews (4, I think?) and removing a cover (the rest of the sidecase stays on and you don't have to remove the kickstart) or does it look like you have to remove the whole sidecover to get at the clutch (and start by taking off the kickstart)?

Jon