01 Sherco Rattle

wraggy78

Hi all im fairly new on here and rejoining trials after some years away

I have just recently brought an 01 sherco 290 and the engine on it rattles quite a lot

I know they can be noisy but not having much experience I dont know what is classed as normal noise.

Im quite a novice with engines but am mechanically minded and good at taking things apart etc.

Is there any obvious ways I can find out if this is abnormal or not and if it is is it a fairly "novice" diy project.

I have read snippets of main bearings and big end bearing etc.

A bit about the bike

It was used every week at novice level and had the oil changed every 6 trials

Its had new chain and sprockets and the reason for sale was that he got offered a 07 sherco for a good price...

well this is what i was told and he did have the bike there. He was a very honest man and dont think he would of sold me a bum bike.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated I have downloaded the sherco maintenance poster and have th link for waynes advive.

but like i said im a bit of a novice.

Thanks in advance guys...

Edited by Andy
I've split this off into it's own topic so you get more relevant answers :)

You really just need to compare it to others to see just where it rates. Surely it has some normal wear, but that does not mean it will explode. Compare compression as well by pushing through the kickstart by hand.

As a quick chech though, you could remove the plactic flywheel cover and try to move the flywheel vertically. There should be virtually no slop, a few thousandths at most. If it goes ka-chunk, ka-chunk, the bearings are shot.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

been in touch with the seller and was told its the clutch and the 290 does rattle also there should be lateral play in the flywheel.

Im located in solihull.

Not sure of a local service/mechanic that looks after these bikes

where is the best place to order bits from and I presume that gaskets etc would also be required?

Cheers for your help

• 5 weeks later...
yeah that was a great help

okay so i have done that and yep just as i thought ka-chunk ka-chunk

so now to my next question

HELP what do I do now...........?????

Hi there i have the same problem with my bike does your piston let a "chuck" noise when you give the bike a sharp throttle and let it rapidly close my bike is the ssdt rep that jarvis rode in 2000 sherco bultaco. If you dont mind could you tell me what these parts cost you and where you got them from.

Thank You Jorge :wall:

PS look at my forums please if you get time.Thanks

Edited by cantgetaname