Alans Ramblings

alan bechard

Alans Ramblings Aug 04

I sit down to write this after thinking about it 100 times. It is so easy to say how someone should write about trials, and share with others, through the written word, what a great sport we participate in. But often times, many of us find ourselves simply overwhelmed by the events that go on throughout the day, or lack the motivation to sit down and make the writing happen.

I reflect often on what I have been told about writing good articles. I have been fortunate to receive some great advice along the way from talented folks that I respect greatly and try and put their advice into play, but unfortunately I often do not. One of the things I do wrong is that I tend to write as though I am writing a letter to you, or maybe in

16 August 2004

Continuing along, some of the highlights of the day had to be when Matt K came blowing past Dean and I on the trail just flying, you have to remember that it was a sloppy mess out there, in the course of waving or saying something, Matt looses it and piles it up royally right in front of us. Mud flying everywhere, it was truly spectacular! Everything came out ok though and Matt got up with a big smile and headed on along the way.

Somewhere in the day, Christina decided to plant her front wheel into the rocks and joined that elusive club that so many of us are members of, the

Alan,

This may not be Cycle News stuff, but it is excellent reading. The way you write makes me seem as I just found your personal journal you may have lost on the adverturous trail you travel?

I took a serious re-read on Dean's struggles. Kids aren't that different from adults when it comes to poor additude. This weekend I experienced a case of this ugly sickness. Sour moments during an event can work two ways, you corrected the matter, I wasn't as composed.

In Chicago, we have a huge problem with our youth, at least half of our population is low income, single parents, the kids have no role models other that the local gangbang drug-dealers. 1/3 drop out of school, 12% wind up in prison. All because parents don't take an active role in their childrens life.

Dean, Christina and Amy are blessed to have a father who is so active in their life, we are blessed you choose to share these experiences with us.

Thanks!

Edited by City Trials

I love it. For anyone with kids in trials, its the same story, just plug in different names and faces into the same story and the memories. The positive resluts in my kids have been amazing, whether they pursue it later or not.

kcj

Kevin and Craig, thanks for the kind words. Away we go.

19 August 2004

Weekend before last I tried to put together a small ride out at the property, and we ended up kind of hitting it in two shifts. First shift probably went out about 8 or so and rode till 12, that was 5 riders, D, B, E, M and K. Probably just as they all left, those of us with Church obligations (and there is nothing quite so good as pot luck lunch at Church!) came rolling in. Dean, Christina and I linked up with Clay and Jessie and went out and had a good time. Earlier in the week I had gone out with the tractor and Bush hog and mowed the field. It was a good lesson for me. Some folks had made a fire ring of large rocks and I bet I thought about picking it up twenty times, and thought I had,,,,, Well! I had not! And it was very noticeable when I found it with the Bush hog! Note to self is to insure that I get that picked up next year while the grass is low!

Well, in the course of jawing around with Jessie we got talking about schools, classes and such, and how we should have one here. One thing led to another and I found myself e-mailing back and forth with Ryan for a bit to see about the possibility of setting one up. We came to an agreeable date, and hammered out price and accommodations and I put out the feelers to make sure I had it covered with enough participants. Well the response was overwhelming. Within a day I had overbooked the class and everything was set. Sooooooo, This Sunday (22 August) Ryan is coming down to teach some happy students the fine points of Motorcycle Trials. We may get to head out in the boat a bit on Saturday afternoon and get in a little wake boarding as well so that is pretty neat.

Currently it looks like we have a balance between adults and kids in the class that should be pretty neat. A couple of us will be hanging back and being the support folks, and possibly Blaine will come in as well to assist so that is pretty exciting as well. I think we will run to the Wal-Mart down the street and pick up some assorted styles of chicken, potato salad, cole slaw and beans to make a nice picnic lunch for the riders. Maybe some of us support guys will go around with garbage bags and clean the area while the school is going on as well.

There will be two Sherco 50

23 August 2004,

WOW!!!! What a weekend we had! I cannot believe how fortunate we are sometimes. Ryan came up Saturday afternoon with the beautiful Ms. Adriana. Right on time, calling to let me know he was stuck behind a traffic accident and keeping me informed every step of the way. We got him checked into the Motel and took off for the river and a bit of boating. It was a great time, Christina was both Wake boarding and knee boarding, Hanna and I got out on the Wakeboard a bit, Dean, being true to form, when Ryan told him to get out and try the knee board jumped right out and did it! Then we got Ryan on the knee board and boy, that picture of the first pull would have been worth a thousand words! It was amazing to watch how fast he mastered it though and by the third pull he was catching a foot of air over the wake! It really was fun. We then went and hung out at Joey

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

And the main man to whom the Bechard family owes Many thanks, and yep, he probably is over 20' (or at least to Dwight's) in the air over a rocky ditch hanging from a rotten vine.......

Does Cindy read these pages????

post-4-1096852092.jpg

Edited by Alan Bechard

7 October 04

Well, it has been a while since I have sat down and taken the time to write anything out. Many things have happened in the last couple of weeks that are significant events for the Bechard family in Trials. We went and rode the Stoney Lonesome trials event in Columbus Indiana, we went to the Saddle Camp at Saddleback East and had a great time, I went out and moved the bridge into place, Deans bike lost a top end rod bearing which implanted most of itself into the piston and head,,, doohhhhhh! And I got mine and Christina

11 October 2004

Last weekend we had the fortunate opportunity to be able to go to Saddle Camp held at Saddle Back East. It is a great event sponsored by this club where they bring in all the kids and have excellent stuff for them to do, relax and have a good time, and while it is a riding club, and the riding is there and many kids and parents are out riding, it is really the social interaction and the fun and games that make Saddle Camp so special.

This year they had a big inflatable jumper thing, and they also had a big inflatable slide thing. There was the BB gun shoot, the Carburetor toss, the fishing casting contest, yard dart kind of game, and Frisbee tossing. There was also face painting with all sorts of things and I saw more than one kid come out with a motorcycle on his cheek. There was also balloon animal and other figure tying and it was wrapped up with a grand giveaway of a boatload of prizes, the highlight of which was a new Schwinn Stingray bicycle. There were also numerous scooters, sleeping bags, Barbie