A Different Leaking Carb Problem....i Think

rick1

I have done the carb mod on my Beta's (adjusting the tangs) and it has always worked perfectly as described. The problem I am having now is the hose coming from the float bowl spits out fuel when I lean the bike to put the side stand down or when I take the bike off the side stand. Essentially, any time I lean the bike to one side or the other it spits out fuel. Any ideas?

Sounds like a variation on the same problem to me. Not sure if that makes it a different problem ;):D

Anyway, I'd check that the plunger valve isn't sticking. This will obviously cause fuel to flow into the bowl regardless of how the float height is set. I once had a valve stick open and only realised when I ran out of fuel 2 sections into the first lap (didn't notice because it was p***ing with rain). Apart from that, strip and clean - could be a blockage somewhere else.

If it's coming from the overflow tube at the bottom of the float bowl then it is usually one of several things. As already pointed out, a piece of dirt holding the needle valve open. Disassemble and clean compressed air works but I'll throw a Q-tip up there as well being careful to not let any of the fibers escape and stick in the valve. There have been a few reports of floats binding on the float bowl gasket and in very rare cases a leaky float filling with fuel.

If it's coming from the vent tubes that come from the brass fittings near the top of the carb that's a different matter and is simply the tubes acting as siphons. Easily cured by nippering a small hole in the tube above the float bowl. I usually just do it at the bend at the top.

You may also want to do a sanity check on your float level adjustment. I've done it wrong on occasion. Lets face it, float level adjustment is like the refrigerator light. When it's all closed up you don't really know whether it's on or off do you. Hmmm gives me an idea for a tuning accessory. A plug for the bottom of the float bowl with a tube that runs up the side of the carb. The float level would show up as the level of fuel in the tube.

I was thinking about a plastic float bowl but then I remembered my friend who broke his cylinder head in a crash and thought better of it. A broken float bowl could be very dangerous.

I still give him a hard time about it. How do you break a cylinder head? He literally caved it in on an easy flat rock that everybody just rolled up on the first loop. After he doused the rock with antifreeze it was impossible to ride. Of course nobody knew that until they came around again and found out too late that it had become slippery as ice. Almost put me on my head.