Sherco Silencer Box

gruffchris

Hi I am looking to buy a sherco 2004 200cc.

i looked at the pics and it looks really clean. the bike has only had 2 owners

I spoke to the owner, he say's the bike is in good order the only thing wrong is that the silencer box? ( think its called this) has started to get clogged , and on the shercos you can not clean them out. He said unless you knew alot about trials bikes you would'nt notice it.

1. is this normal?

2. Will I need to buy a new one, if so whats the cost?

3. is there a way to clean them out.

4. any other suggestions

Ok, I am a real noob to trials biking. I used to ride motorcross and trials as a kid and most of what i learnt, i have forgot, so ant other tips would be greatfull.

Thanks

Chris.

The owner is correct when he says that they cant be easily serviced. Saying that the bike must have been really looked after if that's all thats wrong with it. A tell tale sign is to look under the rear mudguard and see if the airfilter is covered in muck. In my experience if it is it hasn't been looked after.Muck can enter the airbox and cause damage to the engine.

Back to the exhaust.......You can get them cut open and then welded back together with new packing. There is also another method which involves taking the exhaust off the bike and setting fire to the inside by pooring in petrol and letting the fire burn out the clogged up oil. Recommended for the brave ONLY! :wall:

To be honest if I were you I would not get too caught up about this as there are far more important (more costly to replace) things to check like the engine.

Edited by Beta Bodger

thanks for the reply

as i said i am a complete noob, on tmx sight there is a quike guide of what to check for on buying used bikes, so i will print this out and take it with me.

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_database/...used/index.html

when i spoke to the guy he did mention something about a seal the previous owner had welded on. A relitive of mine is a welder so mabey i can get him to look at it.

What other type of things should i check?

There is also an 02 gasgas i am intrested in, it looks imaculate, but the fork seals have gone, the seller says its easy to rectify, but what would that entail and is it easy or would i need to take it to a dealer?

mabey I should start looking at bikes with out defaults lol.

I had issues with the exhaust on my sherco, i burnt out the oil and carbon with oxy/acet torch.

It took time and i had to be carefull to just get the oil burnng and then feed it oxygen to keep it burning inside remove the seals at the front of the silencer before you start.

I got a lot of carbon out and the bike is better and not as loud as i expected either, this is often the price you pay for a burn out.

I used to clean two stroke exhausts with caustic soda and add water, but i had none and i am not even sure if you can buy it now easily.

The seller is right when he says you wouldnt notice if you are a newbie.If it runs ok,buy it.I have an 04 290,no complaints with it,other than the air box get mucked up easily.When the rear fender splits at the bolt holes,it tends to flip off easily especially if you fall off frequently like i do :wall:

My son has a gasser,he loves it.Never changed fork seals on a gasser,but changed them on my sherco,simple job to do.Probably the same method on a gasser or very similar.Also the air box is a better design on the gasser( only my opinion,and i`m talking about the pro model here)mud and stuff cant get in there as easily as it can on the sherco.