Sam Cooper Union Jack Trial.

Thanks for the write up Charlie, makes me feel as if I've been riding in a clasic novel for a day, rather than in a classic trial :D

We were very lucky with the weather. Last night I was still in Western Wood easing the sections in the rain when it got dark; as it happened I could have left the sections unmodified as they dried out really well..... but then a wet day would have spelt disaster. Better too easy than way too hard.

The trial was fairly moderate until we got to Dovedale which has been set out by Wrighty. The log you mention caught me for my first and only five of the day on my DRZ trail bike. But it was the big drop at section 25 that rendered me wide eyed and speechless.

Dave Heming, the other course opener and Neil Ludlow who was 'in-charge' onthe day helped me move numerous logs and brambles to find a different easy route exit much further down the near verticle hill. Indeed, I struggled to stop on my modern disc braked bike even then. Hats off to everyone with drum brakes who made it down, especially the side cars!

The two sections in Warners caused few problems, however the sting in the tail was section 30 back at Blackwell, where I lost another two marks getting out of the stream and up the muddy bank.

A big thanks to the multiple land owners who allow us to ride on their property for this trial, I hope that everyone enjoyed the day, I will post the results as soon as I get them.

Pete Barnett

Clerk of the Course.

Edited by scorpa3

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON M.C.C.

18th May 2008 SAM COOPER UNION JACK TRIAL Permit No: ACU22038

** 3rd round of the British Bike Championship **

Kindly Sponsored by Sammy Miller

Provisional results

AWARDS

Union Jack Trophy Russell Jones 250 Greeves

The Sam Cooper Trophy Martin Wilmore 500 Ariel

Englebach Trophy Peter Gaunt 250 Royal Enfield

Two-stroke Cup Mick Chapman 185 BSA

Shell Cup Steve Allen 350 Matchless

Sidecar Cup John Young/Paul Young 500 Ariel

Ralph Varden Shield Ali Haigh/Barry Pocock 500 Triumph

Twin shocks Chris Koch 250 Cotswold

Trail bikes Steve Saunders 200 Beta

Phil Hewitt Trophy Pete Kirby 350 BSA

The Dennis Bridges Sportsman Award Bob Haines

Would that be the cotswold that has been "discussed" at length on here recently?

Sorry I don't know, I've not read that discussion. Which topic is it under?

I guess that the Cotswold name means that it is (or was) something to do with Jon Bliss.

My second ever road trial (and Sammy Millar event) at an age the wrong side of 50, oh what have I missed all these years. I rode a tatty 200 Fantic on the easy route and still lost 3 5's in those imfamous wood sections but I had a brilliant day out. Well done to the organisers and plotters, the tea van at lunch was an eye-opener for someone who normally only rides multi laps around a postage stamp and the skill of some of the good guy's had me rushing ahead so I would not get embarrased! Super event, you should be needing to hold a ballot for places!

My usual write up is on the hungerstone.net site; enjoyable day out, though I am developing a phobia about Dovedale.

Best bit of the day for me watching Steve Allen clean the last section, just, to complete a feet-up day. Given that I normally drop 20 to 40 marks, I can really comment on the bikes the guys in the top 10 are riding, but given that in the twinshock section, 1 mark made the difference, maybe the origin of the bike is important.

Anyway good stuff; 8th June in Rhayader then .....and if you want a road-registered bike to compete on, let me know :-)

My usual write up is on the hungerstone.net site; enjoyable day out, though I am developing a phobia about Dovedale.

Best bit of the day for me watching Steve Allen clean the last section, just, to complete a feet-up day. Given that I normally drop 20 to 40 marks, I can really comment on the bikes the guys in the top 10 are riding, but given that in the twinshock section, 1 mark made the difference, maybe the origin of the bike is important.

Anyway good stuff; 8th June in Rhayader then .....and if you want a road-registered bike to compete on, let me know :-)

Superb write up Malrca, that must have taken you hours to do. :D