Small End Bearing On Sherco

ythan

The small end bearing on my sherco 125 had broken the cage, in a way i have personaly not seen before.

It cracked a web but no further damage was done, the only anoying part was i droped a nedle into the crank case when striping the piston off.

I got it out by tiping the entire bike upside down <_< .

The original gold coloured bearing look to have a slightly wider web compared to most other small end bearings, i have replaced the original with a bearing with narower webs.

It was mentioned to me in passing that sherco had changed from the early bearing to another type, i have no way of knowing if this is true or just hearsay.

Have shercos of this age (pree 2004) a issue with small ends?

And did they indeed change frome the aforesaid bearing to another make?

Can you see any reason i have mabe overlooked ..Why! i should not use the comercial bearing i have to replace the factory issued ones?

Picture293.jpg

Not aware of any particular problem with them, although Sherco may have changed for many reasons.

The bearings on the old one appear pitted though, and if the rod is in that shape as well it may not last. Otherwise looks as though it will work. What manufacturer is it from?

There should be no verticle movement with pin installed, and if so the rod is a goner. <_<

Not aware of any particular problem with them, although Sherco may have changed for many reasons.

The bearings on the old one appear pitted though, and if the rod is in that shape as well it may not last. Otherwise looks as though it will work. What manufacturer is it from?

There should be no verticle movement with pin installed, and if so the rod is a goner. <_<

The new bearing is a NSK think they are japanese just a comercial available bearing, as for the rod condition its fine no up and down movement, and the land is unmarked.

You might want to call Ryan and ask him about any changes or updates to the bearings. I would be a little leary about using a commercial bearing without comparing all of the specifications with the OEM one.

I would also take a real close look at the condition of the big-end bearing; with the condition that the wrist pin bearing is in, the rod bearing may not be too good either. While you are at it, have a good look at the main bearings too, I have replaced two sets of them in customers bikes last month alone.

Hi,i spent many years in the bearing trade,the cage won't make any difference to the rating of the bearing as it's the rollers that take the load,however,one problem i encountered many times was with bike needle bearings-as a manufacturer of bikes you can take a standard bearing and ask mr NSK or mr SKF etc to modify it for you-thus making it a tied part to your brand,and keeping customers tied to you.A good web site to check out sizes etc is NADELLA or INA/FAG both big players in the needle market for europe,or IKO for jap spec kit.Once you get the size,you will have an industy standard ref and you can go to a local bearing distributor.Hope this helps. <_<