How To Change 07 Rev3 Shock Heim Joint/bushing

neta160

Hi,

I have too much play at the top and bottom of my 07 Rev3 270's rear shock when compared to other identical bikes. While I wait for the parts to arrive, I thought I would ask around to see if there any tips and tricks to removing the outer bushing (one on each side), seal tucked down inside and finally the inner heim joint (I believe it is also called a rose joint in the UK). I was told there is a small clip on one side to hold everything together but I can't find it. I was not able to get the bushings out with a pick.

Any suggestions?

Tim

From Jon Stoodley and copied from ther MC-List.

I can't quite picture the description but I'm guessing that there are two"top hat" type bushings that press in from either side into the spherical bearing. Removing the two side bushings and pressing out the bearing is probably what you need to do. It's also known as a "Heim Self-aligning bearing" and larger ones are widely used in race car suspensions. The spherical center bearing is usually housed in a self-lubricating outer housing and be sure to make sure there are no snap ring wires to remove first. They are very thin spring steel circular retaining wires that fit closely into a groove and are easily missed. They hold the outer bearing case in the eyelet of the shock end. If you take a sharp pick and run it around the corner where the bearing and eyelet meet, you'll feel a "click"when the pick drops into the gap where the ends of the wire meet and that's where you'll use the pick to take the wire out. Two picks work well, one to get behind the wire and pull it out a little and the other to put underneath the wire to lever it upwards out of the groove. Be careful, those things canfly across the room and be impossible to find, experience has taught me-several times....<_< Jon