Can't Remove The Cylinder (2002 315r)

elctb

I can't remove the cylinder off my 315r no matter how hard I try. The cylinder head came off without any problem, but the cylinder doesn't budge. I've hit it with a rubber mallet from every possible angle and it hardly moves. I removed the 4 nuts that hold it down. Is there a trick to removing the cylinder or should I keep hitting it with the mallet ?

Humm

You are sure all the bolts are undone???

Try a bit of WD40 on the base gasget overnight to see if it could get it to let go.

or you could try putting a filter strap wrench around the cylinder and giving it a tweak in both directions.

or the base gasket may go soft with a bit of heat.

or put the cylider head back on and Kick it over (quitely)

Very very very very last option.... tap a small wedge between the two.... go through the base gasket in a few places (but i didn't tell you this. And i'd work for a week on the cylinder before trying this).

Ralphy

Put soft plasticene (oil based modelling clay) in a layer about 6mm thick on top of the piston and refit the head. Carefully bump the cylinder loose by turning the crankshaft.

When the gasket joint lets go, take the cylinder head back off and lift the cylinder off the rest of the way by hand.

Mine was a swine to do as well. It took a lot of rubber mallet action to get it freed up.

Once I had got a crack to appear between the cylinder and crankcase I put a screwdriver in, not as a wedge but as a lever and then malleted the opposite side.

Not sure how clever an idea this was but it worked. I had one corner that was particularly stuck.

I like the plasticine idea!

How about nylon rope instead of plasticine? Move the piston down into the bore, then cut a few feet of nylon rope and coil it inside the bore on top of the piston. Reinstall head, then kick gently as suggested by feetupfun

How about nylon rope instead of plasticine? Move the piston down into the bore, then cut a few feet of nylon rope and coil it inside the bore on top of the piston. Reinstall head, then kick gently as suggested by feetupfun

Yes, that's exactly what I did. It took several kicks but it finally came off.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a trick to install the engine mounting bolts ?

After replacing the piston, rings, and installing the cylinder the engine mounting points are not aligned. I can't even bolt on the frame down tubes. It seems to me the only way to do it is to use some sort of a press. I really think it's humanly impossible to force the mounting points to align.

I hate taking the bike to the shop to get that done.

Any ideas on how to do it ?

Edited by elctb