Montesa Cota 335

rickgoodwin

I have the chance to pick up one of these bikes but know nothing about this model. I seem to be missing the gap between the 349 wich I owned and the 310 wich was much more like the modern cota. Are spares easy to get? Did they send very many to the U.S.? i just picked up an old TY250r mono thats in good shape and has had many of that periods mods already done. Maybe I should pick up the cota and sell the TY. Thoughts anyone?

Edited by RickGoodwin

Hi,

I am by no means an expert and have never ridden one but I do have the model before (330 Twinshock) which shares the same motor. It looks like Montesa developed a new engine and box for the 330/335 as it is very different to the 349 you had. By the time they launched the 330 though all the competition (Yamaha, Fantic, Beta) had monoshocks out. The 335 was then launched with the Monoshock and disc brakes but was a little bigger and heavier than the competition. Montesa had already lost many customers that were faithfull to the brand and it didn't sell too well.

Does look very pretty though!

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you want a competetive Air cooled Monoshock to compete on then the TY is a far better bike.

If you are a collector or just want to ride something different to everyone else then the Montesa is the one. Spares might be a bit of a problem depending on what bits you need.

Steve.