Overheating And Fuel Starvation

bikespace

I had a minor problem over the weekend at the Manx 2 day and wondering if it's a regular thing, or if someone else has seen it happen. At least one other rider this weekend mentioned he had problems similar (his on a Gasser).

When the bike got very hot (we dropped off a hill missing a right turn and did 3 or 4 steep miles just to blast right back up) all of a sudden it started dying. Horrible thought that it was nipping up, but it wasn't it just seemed to be fuel starvation. This wasn't full throttle stuff. I turned it over in gear and felt very free.

I've already shortened the fuel standpipe and I also tried it on reserve but no difference. Rad is full and fan working properly but this does seem like genuinely getting a bit too hot through no fault of its own (I blame the load)

I thought maybe a bit of muck had got sucked through so I stripped the carb but everything was clean as a whistle - except the fuel inlet filter which had a little bit of a creamy substance in it (I suspected maybe slowing fuel flow)

Cleaned it out and no problems for a while, but got hot again at one point and did the same again.

Just in case the fuel was dodgy I emptied the tank and changed cans, but I don't think the bike ever got that hot on Sunday.

My thoughts at the time were:

1. Dodgy fuel

2. Some sort of reaction because the fuel pipe runs so close to silencer, maybe the creamy substance is being formed somehow :rolleyes:

3. The creamy substance was a red herring (not literally Kinell before you start - I never took it that deep B) ) and its just the heat of the engine increasing fuel consumption to past what the carb can pump through.

This isn't a major problem when you've got time to let it cool, but I wouldn't like to do the Scott where I'd be tempted to push on at the bikes peril (although my shouting wallet would probably win through and I'd plod round to finish some time after last orders)

Any thoughts anyone?

Edited by Bikespace

Easy Fix Gaz, your problem is them Little Blue letters down the Frame tube, I see lots of the bikes giving trouble..Change the : SHERCO

to a SCORPA and you'll have no more S..t :rolleyes:B)

Edited by Marky G

had a similar problem at the brieden hills hill climb section . thought it was a fuel starvation problem, but the cure only came to light a a similar but steeper section at the 2 day at 600 acres,

traced it to low float level worth a check