Keihin Carb On Gasser

motoxleo

Gentlemen

I have a Keihin carb from KX85 Im putting on my 280cc Gasser. Does anyone know what I need to buy to modify the interior of the carb (jet sizes, needles, etc) ?

Thanks

Ballpark spec.'s to start with are:

MAIN: 122

PILOT: 45 (48 OK)

NEEDLE: JJH (CENTER OF FIVE POSITIONS)

SLIDE: 3.5

AIRSCREW: 2.5 TURNS OUT

FLOAT HEIGHT: ARMS IN LEVEL PLANE WITH FLOAT BOWL BASE (PARALLEL)

The problem you will undoubtedly run into (literally) is that the air screw and idle adjustment are on the "wrong" side and will be hard, if not impossible to get at. You will need a "Raga" throttle cable as the stock Dellorto is too short in the cable extension and you will need a Raga intake manifold (or a 1996 JTR370, essentially the same) and special spacers to extend and raise the carb body up to clear the engine cases.

That's a start, good luck.

Jon

Almost forgot, if you have an 02' 280, you will also need an 03' on up air boot as the 02' only fits the Dellorto PHBL carb bell.

Edited by JSE

Thanks Jon

Your name suggest you have Scandinavian roots :-)

Any chance I can find part numbers somewhere on the internet for the items I need to convert the carburetor?

I also have a 2006 Sherco 2.9 I might want to do the same to as the Keihin delivers so much smoother action. Do you know if the Keihin needs the same parts to work for the Sherco?

Thanks Jon

Your name suggest you have Scandinavian roots :-)

Any chance I can find part numbers somewhere on the internet for the items I need to convert the carburetor?

I also have a 2006 Sherco 2.9 I might want to do the same to as the Keihin delivers so much smoother action. Do you know if the Keihin needs the same parts to work for the Sherco?

I'll try to upload one of my files from TrialsPartsUSA I finally found, which has all the available parts and part numbers to convert the Keihin, including that neat little wedge reedcage spacer.

As for then Sherco, you might want to go over to that forum, there's a lot of info of late about the conversion.

Cheers.

Jon

ps. Yea, the Jon thing is a little Scandinavian (I've got in arguments with people about spelling my first name "wrong") but my last name puts my ancestors directly in England and the Isle of Man.

Thanks Jon, for you effort to help.

This info will get me up and running with the Keihin.

Jon is very common from where I come from (Iceland). However, IOM has a strong Viking heritage. I