Lost The Spark On An '02 Sherco 290

mark1161

We were out playing in our local practice ground yesterday and my pals' '02 290 lost it's spark and died (his highly technical description was it went "Papapapapa...papapa.......papa.............pa ............poot!!") - we tried the usual things that you can at the side of river (check it's getting fuel, check he kill switch, tried a new plug) but nothing, so he pushed it the mile and a bit home .........

Having looked at other posts, I'm suspicious that it's the stator - anyone got any experience of this sort of thing and should I be checking anything else ?

Edited by mark1161

I pulled the bike apart last night and unfortunately the woodruff key is fine.......

I checked all the connections in the loom and they're all OK as well

The kill switch is working fine

Has anyone got any info on how to test the box/coil ????

I took the thermo-switch out of circuit by connecting its feed wires together and when I kicked the bike over it was generating enough power to start the fan turning so i think the coils on the stator are OK..... somebody please correct me if this is a wrong assumption

I measured the trigger figures as per the instructions from the Bradford ignitions website and got some really oddball figures, so I think that may be the problem - watch this space......

• 2 weeks later...

I may be a bit late, just ran across this thread today. I had the same problem (twice in 2006) with my 04 2.9. I was going to try a new stator as well. Turned out it was a grounding issue under the tank with the coil and other electrics. A quick clean and remount solved the problem first time. Then it re-occurred. Next time I did every connnestion and mounting carefully and used di-electric lube in the reassambly. It worked and has been fine for almost 2 years now. Total cost $5.00. Just a little time.

An update (but not a happy ending with a big, fat blue spark) - got the stator back from being re-wound (we were convinced this was the problem), built the bike back up, connected all the electrics and hey presto.....no spark !!!!!!!!!

Has anyone any ideas what else it might be, I've checked all the wiring, the kill switch, a new plug and had the stator re-built - I will check the earth connections out tomorrow..........the only thing left is the coil / CDI unit and I expect it will be f*@&ing expensive - does anyone know how to test one (and unfortunately none of ou pals run Sherco's to get a "shot" of a good one to try out)

Sounds as though you ave just about covered everything else!

Seems as though I resall some place online selling scooter parts for vespa's or something selling those ducati coils cheap, a google search perhaps?

try linky

Edited by copemech

Copemech - I had a look at the web link you sent, the coil on the Sherco has an extra 3 wires than the ones shown on the website !!!!! I think it will have to be a genuine Sherco part

I also found something very similar on the JK Hirst website for

If you look at the pic in the linky, there are terminals on the coil pack for a red, white, green and black wire as I recall. The yellow is earth from the coil, then you have the secondary coil wire to the sparkie. These may be epoxied in on the factory unit.

I no longer have an older one around to look at first hand.

Doubt you have anything programmable. :thumbup:

I definitely have more wires - I have the earth (green) and a red, white and another green (all from one connector) from the loom coming from the stator, I also have another set of wires from the stator (blue, brown and black I think) with a seperate connector whch also goes into the coil and the HT lead which comes out of the coil. All eight wires are epoxied into the coil unit.

I forgot to add earlier that it's a Leonelli system on my bike.

Edited by mark1161

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it sorted - it looks like what may have happened is that when the trigger on the stator packed in it damaged the coil at the same time, so both have now been replaced and the bike is up and running again

Thanks for all the help (especially from Russell W.) and suggestions from everyone

Edited by mark1161