Gear Change Problem

tombo46

Im having a problem with the gear changing of my 08 300.

the gear has always been clunky from 4th into 5th and back down to 4th again but recently the bike doesnt want to change up into 2nd from neutral, its just grinds on the gear rather than actually selecting it. if I knock it up from 1st into 2nd or from 3rd down to 2nd It selects fine. Sometimes however, after changing from 1st to 2nd it can slip out of gear and into neutral. (this can happen up to 20 seconds after the gear change).

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to go about fixing it?

Sorry if it sounds complicated!

All the best

Tom

Im having a problem with the gear changing of my 08 300.

the gear has always been clunky from 4th into 5th and back down to 4th again but recently the bike doesnt want to change up into 2nd from neutral, its just grinds on the gear rather than actually selecting it. if I knock it up from 1st into 2nd or from 3rd down to 2nd It selects fine. Sometimes however, after changing from 1st to 2nd it can slip out of gear and into neutral. (this can happen up to 20 seconds after the gear change).

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to go about fixing it?

Sorry if it sounds complicated!

All the best

Tom

Tom,

The "grinding" you hear is probably the gear selector mechanism (thick pins known as "dogs" and slots in the gear hubs and collars) and not the gear teeth as most motorcycle transmissions are known as "constant mesh", so in most cases the gears do not move from one set of teeth to another but power is transferred along the shafts by a set of collars with pins and slots in the gear hubs (over simplified, I know).

I'd first adjust the centering spring under the clutch hub. The internal roller may not be moving the shift drum far enough for the detent wheel to drop down into the "slot" in the shift drum. Unless you've hit the shift lever hard on a rock lately I doubt there are internal injuries causing your problem.

Jon