Chain Tension On Gasgas 300

geordabroad

Hi

I've recently put together a GasGas TXT300 pro and I'm not sure how tight the chain should be. It's a pretty new chain and seems tight enough when I sit on it and ride generally but I'm used to trail bike set ups, so the chain tensioner on a trials bike is confusing things.

Does anyone have a foolproof way of ensuring I set the chain to the right tension, as I don't want to stretch it and put stress on bearings, gearbox and sprockets etc. if I drop off something and there's not enough slack to follow the suspension movement.

Thanks

Newby in Beijing

Hi

A "thumbrule" here is that You should be able to put the thumb between the chain tensioner and the rear frame.. B)

-Jan

geordabroad,

Just to make sure you don't misunderstand, I think that Jan meant to say between the top on the rubber chain guide on the tensioner and the underside of the swingarm is where the space would be to insert one's thumb. :D

Jon

Jan & Jon

Thanks very much for your advice. As I've said, I'm new to trials, am the only trials rider I know out in Beijing, and to be able to ask simple but important questions on this forum and get prompt replies from others is fantastic.

Thanks for all your help...

Just to add a little colour to this entry... Was out for the first time in the hills today for a couple of hours... 35 degrees plus, trying to ride the technical trails we ride on our mountainbikes. It was like the garden of Eden... tracks are suddenly overgrown, as this is the rainy season, insects everywhere and hot and humid... had a great time! And it's all very good practice to hone the new skills I'm picking up. Still quite polluted, but we'll wait and see how it clears over the next couple of weeks before the Olympics.

Best wishes

Geordabroad

geordabroad,

Just to make sure you don't misunderstand, I think that Jan meant to say between the top on the rubber chain guide on the tensioner and the underside of the swingarm is where the space would be to insert one's thumb. B)

Jon

Quite right Jon. This language thing again.. :D

-Jan

Quite right Jon. This language thing again.. B)

-Jan

Jan,

Your English is unbelieveably better than my Norwegian!

I always appreciate your posts, they have been very helpful.

Cheers.

Jon

Jan,

Your English is unbelieveably better than my Norwegian!

I always appreciate your posts, they have been very helpful.

Cheers.

Jon

Haha Jon .. I`m flattered... B) but somehow I get the feeling that You know all this. Although I maybe sometimes see things from a different angle..

If someone needs help on a norwegian issue though... :D

-Jan