Clutch Fluid

280pro02

hi i have a gas gas txt 280 pro 2002 and wanted to know what type of clutch fluid to use and do you put it in the resovoir on the clutch lever :rotfl:

Hello

If you have a 02 (username 280pro02??):

Use DOT 4 brake fluid. (You can use DOT 5, but before that you have to clean the whole system because DOT 4 and DOT 5 is not compatible.)

Yes - it goes in the reservoir :-)

Beware that GasGas changed clutch fluid from brake fluid to hydraulic mineral oil in 2005. Some older bikes can have been rebuildt to this system.

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

hi i have a gas gas txt 280 pro 2002 and wanted to know what type of clutch fluid to use and do you put it in the resovoir on the clutch lever :rotfl:

We had a discussion on another forum and this comment was added about fluids used in the GasGas clutch systems:

"The DOT-5 (Silicone based and generally quite inert) can be used in (as a total replacement) the DOT-3/4 or mineral oil systems and actually makes the lever about 20% smoother from our experience, but you can't convert between the DOT-3/4/5.1 and mineral oil systems without a total replacement of compatable seals/o-rings. I've always been suspicious of any intermixing and if the mineral oil system has DOT-3/4 in it, at all-even a couple drops, I'd replace all the seals. The DOT 3, 4, 5.1 (as I understand, DOT-5.1 is used in high-speed European ABS systems and appears to be a lower viscosity) is a very active solvent (and makes a good paint remover), and I've used it to soak carbon encrusted combustion chambers to make them easier to polish out.

Some riders think that you can just drain the clutch fluid out at the bleed fitting and replace it with another type, but the whole system needs to be completely dis-assembled and throughly cleaned. I've converted all my clutch systems to DOT-5 and the seals and rubber boots last years without swelling.

DOT-3, 4, 5.1__DOT-5__and mineral oil are not compatable with each other in clutch systems (Copey's correct and you'll usually end up with something that looks like science fiction sea monsters floating around in your fluid reservoir). Seals and o-rings made for mineral oil (often green in color) usually are damaged by DOT-3 type fluids, which are quite reactive."

I also have an 2002 280. DOT 3 or 4 should be added to the reservoir on the stock 02' master cylinder. You'll want to slightly overfill it (hold a rag underneath) so that when you put the cap on (it has an expansion bladder that is part of the gasket) there will be as little air as possible trapped under the bladder. Make sure you have a little clearance where the adjustment screw on the clutch lever meets the plunger that goes into the rubber boot to the piston inside the master cylinder.

Jon

• Like 1