Sticking Carb

boner

Just a quick one...

Would the posibility of sticking carb on my Gaser, lead to starting difficulties?

Noticed the revs sticking on Saturday, later dropped the bike - then it refused to start.

Have shut off the fule, removed and dried (and checked) the spark - all seems fine...

What next?

Cheers - Boner.

Just a quick one...

Would the posibility of sticking carb on my Gaser, lead to starting difficulties?

Noticed the revs sticking on Saturday, later dropped the bike - then it refused to start.

Have shut off the fule, removed and dried (and checked) the spark - all seems fine...

What next?

Cheers - Boner.

First thing I'd check before starting the bike is the throttle cable, sometimes a branch will pull the carb ferrule up out of the adjuster fitting on the top of the carb. Make sure that the cable housing didn't get munched somewhere, which will deform the spiral housing under the black plastic outer covering and sometimes cause the inner cable to stick, and if the inner steel spiral is pulled apart, will extend the length of the outer cable housing and hold the slide up. Dirt in the throat will often cause the slide to seize in the channels it rides up and down in.

I'd pull the airbox and inspect the carb boot and carb bell for dirt/grit, which, and if it is there, means that dirt is passing through the filter or the filter is not fitting on the airbox base correctly and dirt is passing past the sealing part of the filter. A wet Trial will tend to wash fine grit through the filter cells, depending on what brand of air filter oil you use.

If the slide sticks open and the engine starts to scream, hit the kill switch quick. If it runs that way for any length of time, combustion chamber temp will cause the fuel to auto-ignite and the kill switch won't work, which, in case, you'll want to take off a glove (holding it with the other gloved hand) and stop up the exhaust and when the revs drop, the kill switch will usually work.

Jon

Hi Boner,

All of what Jon said and this........do not run the bike till you get the sticking throttle fixed. May be a frayed throttle cable at either end, normally at the throttle. Dirt in the throttle slide area waould cause scoring of the slide and body, have a really close look, clean out if scored and use P600 or P1000 emery to ease of any high spots on the slide.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks guys, took the carb apart last night and found that the slide did indeed have slight scoring... so cleaned that up. If it persists, I'll order a new part for GG. Shame they're made of crappy plastic really...

Anywho - stripped the carb, cleaned it, checked cables etc. - all fine.

Put it all back together and got kicking - NOTHING! Got fed up andwent to bed!

Had another stab at it tonight, and again nothing... got REALLY pi55ed off with the bike and gave it a good kicking (on the kick start that is) and hey presto - she sprang to life.

Ran her for a few minutes, stopped her and restarted - no problems.

So haven't got a clue what was wrong, or indeed what I did (if anything) to fix it.

Bikes... ;)

Cheers - Boner.